Mapping controller 2 inputs to Controller 1?

I thought this new feature in 1.9.6 would allow to play Goldeneye and PD using dual analog but i don’t think it works.

On the real console, Goldeneye can use two controllers (one on each hand) to play in real dual analog mode. In standalone emulator plugins, it was possible to map the analog and some buttons of controller 2 to controller 1 in order to “fuse” the two controllers into 1 device. So with emulation, you didn’t need to use 2 controllers but just 1, even though the system thought you were using 2.

This wasn’t possible in RetroArch, however. And i thought this new feature in 1.9.6 would allow it but nope. The moment i set controller 2 to “port 1” the N64 no longer sees 2 controllers. So the in-game option in Goldeneye to use two controllers doesn’t work.

Is this an issue with the core? Is the feature not fully implemented yet? Or i don’t really understand how it’s supposed to work?

1 Like

A config override with these lines is what makes this work:

input_player1_joypad_index = “0”
input_player2_joypad_index = “0”

A person from Reddit shared this and i tested it successfully. I’m able to play Goldeneye/PD with dual analog, using the twin controllers in-game scheme. Apparently, this was possible all along.

2 Likes