Mario Kart on BSNES will not launch (Emulator just closes)

I’m having some issues with Mario Kart on RetroArch using BSNES Bal.

I can run almost any game without issue, however Mario Kart (and possible a handful of others) will not launch. When I start the rom, the emulator simply closes and that’s it. Even if I run RetroArch_debug

If there is a log I can post, please let me know where I can find it and I will gladly post it.

Rom Info:

---------------------------
Properties
Name: Super Mario Kart (USA).sfc
Size: 524 288
Packed Size: 319 800
CRC: CD80DB86
Encrypted: -
Method: LZMA:19:lc4
Block: 0
----------------------------
Size: 524 288
Packed Size: 319 800
Folders: 0
Files: 1
CRC: CD80DB86
----------------------------
Path: H:\Roms\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System\Super Mario Kart (USA).7z
Type: 7z
Warnings: There are some data after the end of the payload data
Physical Size: 319 940
Tail Size: 38
Headers Size: 140
Method: LZMA:19
Solid: -
Blocks: 1

OK   

RetroArch version: Where can I find this (I just downloaded the latest about 10 minutes ago in an effort to fix this)

Core: 1.3.1 - BSNES v094 (Balanced)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Additional notes:

• This rom works if I use the SNES9X core
  • Debug outputs just before RetroArch closes

You need the dsp roms on your system directory. That’s exactly what the log is telling you

It looks like it’s not finding your dsp1b program and data roms. That doesn’t normally kill the whole thing, though. It usually just gets hung up on the Nintendo logo…

Thanks for the tips guys, I replaced the dsp1b roms and everything seems to be functioning again.

Sorry to hop onto a solved thread, but what is a dsp rom? I was going to start working on SNES this week, but I don’t want to run into this issue lol. I don’t have that rom in my system directory.

now that I say that I’m wondering, is it some kind of bios for the cart-embedded chips?

Yeah, those special chips used to be all HLEed in SNES emulators but a very nice dude named Dr. Decapitator used his company’s outrageously expensive equipment to melt the tops off of them and told us what’s inside. Now you can get bit-perfect images of the chips and bsnes is able to use them for low-level emulation (i.e., slower but more accurate).

Do those accurate BSNES cores cause slowdown because of a lack of performance, or they just run slow? The reason I ask is I was going to use a ZSNES or SNES9x core because I know those emulators, and only recently heard about BSNES, but I keep hearing that the accurate core runs slow. Is it slow because of a lack of performance on the users computer, or because the core itself is slow?

It has much higher CPU requirements than snes9x or ZSNES (there’s no zsnes core, btw) because of the way it emulates, which is also more accurate than either of those. If you want to use bsnes on a less-than-stellar machine, try the balanced core first, which should run fine on any non-netbook CPU made within the last 7-8 years. Accuracy is about 40% slower than balanced and really only fixes one (crummy) game (Air Strike Patrol A.S.P.).

Well I have an Intel i7-4790K 4.4ghz so that’s not a problem. But if all it does is help that one game I won’t worry about it. Especially if it’s one I don’t even have haha.

I could have sworn I’d seen a ZSNES core, but I’ll take your word for it, I’m new to this lol.

Thanks for all the info though. Seriously you’ve been a big help around here to me and as a total ‘n00b’ to the forums, I really appreciate the info and assistance.