Massive delay when first loading Retroarch and any game/content

Hi, recently I’ve been noticing a massive delay (20 seconds or so) when Retroarch first loads, and also again (the same delay) when I load any game/content.

I’ve also experienced the same massive delay when loading MAME (outside of Retroarch), and loading any game in MAME.

I suspect it’s something related to Windows (probably caused by an update), rather than Retroarch or MAME, but I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to what’s causing the delay?

Do you have a corsair keyboard, by chance?

I do! A K55 RGB; do they somehow cause a problem?

Yes, we don’t know why or any way to fix it reliably, but just having one plugged in causes 20-30 second stalls on launch (sometimes).

Ah, thanks, that’s very strange. I wonder if it’s something related to x-input as the delay happens when the log is listing input devices.

I also have a wired 360 controller connected, so perhaps there is some sort of conflict?

And I have noticed that the delay isn’t always there, just testing it now it loaded without an issue.

I did read about some issues with the keyboard related to the caps lock indicators so perhaps there is something not quite right with the hardware?

Also I recently discovered some problems with Windows 10 related to USB2 devices connected to USB3 ports; I have a web cam that locks up for several seconds at a time if connected via USB3, but works fine via USB2. My 360 pad is also connected via USB3 so I might try using just USB2 and see if it happens again. If I notice a direct correlation I’ll report back :+1:

2 Likes

Quick update: I think the problem is related to the keyboard and I think the cause is related to power management.

I’ve been fiddling with some options and I’ve had no trouble since, but I thought I’d test a little longer before I draw any conclusions.

If it is what I suspect I’ll put together a quick video on my findings :+1:

1 Like

In the end it appears to be an issue with the keyboard; so no need for an explanation video.

The keyboard has built-in hardware keys to set lighting and save macros and I prefer hardware to software that’s running all the time. However in this instance I tried installing Corsair’s iCue software, this then discovered a firmware update for my keyboard, I applied the update and haven’t had any issues since.

I also then uninstalled iCue as there was no need for it to keep running in the background once the firmware was updated :wink:

1 Like