Mednafen (PSX) being stubborn with controller remap

Hello Libretro forums!

I’m using an Xbox One controller to play emulated PS1 games via the Mednafen core.

For some reason, my default controls for the PSX in Mednafen are wrong. For example, the “cross” is assigned to the “B” button by default.

When I try to assign the Playstation buttons to their corresponding standard “ABXY” buttons on the Xbox controller, Mednafen won’t accept it. The “B” button is still the “cross” button. Even after saving the remap file, saving the libretro config, restarting the content, and rebooting my pc, the problem persists. After rebooting, I saw that Retroarch has set the controls back to the default. I went to “Load Remap File”, opened the “Mednafen PSX.rmp” that it saved to before, and opened some content. Still, it’s as if I hadn’t changed the default controls at all. Going back to Core Input Options shows me the loaded remap with the proper controls, but Mednafen doesn’t seem to be using them when it’s actually running the game.

Some of the settings (after I changed them) can be seen here.

The retropad face buttons are labeled SNES-style. That is, backward from Xbox One/360 pads. The bottom button is B, the right button is A, the top button is X and the left button is Y.

How do I change this? I went under “Settings>Input>Input User 1 Binds>User 1 Bind All” and was I asked to press things like “B Button (Down)”.

When I use the actual B button on my controller (as with the other buttons by their letter, not position), all is well. B registers as B in all of the other cores. B is the “back” button in the Retroarch menu, SNES, and N64 games.

When I bind the lowermost button on my controller for B (Retroarch asks for B “down”), my controls are wonky.

That’s for the universal controls, not for the core, so I could be doing the wrong thing. However, no matter what I do to my Core Input Options, everything remains the same. Just now I messed up my core controls just to see what would happen and the controls were still the same (B for cross, A for circle, etc).

It seems that no matter what I do to my input settings, Mednafen’s stay the same.

In settings > configuration, you need to set ‘load remap files automatically’ to ON if it’s not already.

It still doesn’t work :frowning:

I enabled “Load Remap Files Automatically”, no difference. I deleted Mednafen’s remap file, went into “Core Input Settings” again, and assigned the buttons as I wanted them, but It’s still the same. Then I enabled “Load Override Files Automatically”, “Use Per-Game Core Options if Available”, and “Configuration Per-Core” (individually), which didn’t make a difference. I went back to “Core Input Options” and set the cross button to the L button on my Xbox controller, but B still served as the cross button in-game. I looked at the core input options again and they’re changed as I want them, but Mednafen doesn’t seem to be using these settings.

I think your gamepad to retropad binding may be wrong, that’s the only reason for this to happen. Bind your pad correctly to retropad (xbox B to retropad A, etc) and start again and it should work just fine. Heck you shouldn’t need any remaps for PSX

Now SNES bindings are wrong :frowning:

I bound the proper buttons to under Retroarch settings. Opened a PS1 game, worked great. Then I opened a SNES game and saw that the bindings were wrong. I went under Quick Menu>Core Input Options and properly bound the buttons (B to A, A to B, X to Y, Y to X) and saved the core remap file. Still no difference. My core input bindings aren’t being read.

Yoou are mixing up stuff I guess, I would just start over. You should just need to map the gamepad ONCE

Start with a new config?

I can do that.

EDIT:

Reinstalled Retroarch, everything works as it should now! Thanks.