Mednafen psx crashes

Just installed RetroArch for the first time. I’ve checked that the md5’s for the bios files matches what’s listed in the wiki, and the core info page shows them as present. Tried using both the mednafen cores, both of them crashed RA when trying to load an iso. I then tried running the debug version and took a screenshot of the errors:

You know this section is for retroarch ON Sony platforms, such as PS3 or PSP right?

You are probably missing playstation bios, load the core and see Information --> Core Information

Also check your cue sheets. Many of them were made poorly. BIOS and cue sheet issues make up ~90% of all “mednafen-psx won’t launch” issues.

Yes, I realized this was the wrong forum after I posted. As I said, all 3 bios files match the md5’s listed and show up as being present in the info page.

contents of the cue sheet:

FILE “Final Fantasy Origins (USA) (v1.0).bin” BINARY TRACK 01 MODE2/2352 INDEX 01 00:00:00

As far as I can tell this appears to be correct, as are the other games I’ve tried loading. Since this is a psx core, I’m wondering why it’s trying to load a battery save (srm) instead of a memory card (mcr)

We run all of our saves through our SRAM interface by default, just for consistency/simplicity.

Can you get us a full verbose log? Launch retroarch from a command line with --menu --verbose --log-file log.txt and then pastebin the contents of that file and post a link here.

Here you go: http://pastebin.com/HiYh2XQf

Ok, can you launch games from the non-‘hw’ core? that is, with software rendering? that will tell us whether it’s a problem with ROMs/BIOS or context/shader/driver.

Eh, no I can’t actually. I’ve just discovered that once I’ve loaded a game with a particular core, I can’t find a way get it to load with a different one. I’ve even tried deleting the first core, but that just causes a crash when I try to load the iso

Are you trying to load the game from a playlist? I’ve had similar problems lately with Mednafen refusing to load games from playlists.

Yeah, for testing, just use the load core > load content workflow.

You can change the core for an entire playlist by going to settings > playlist and setting it there. If you’ve already set a different core for an individual game (as it sounds like has happened here), you have to remove the game from the playlist, go to the scanning tab and scan the individual file. That should put it back in sync with the rest of the playlist.

Yes, that’s it. If I try to load from the playlist automatically tries to load the hw core, but if I load it from the “load content” menu it asks me which core to use.

Using the method, all the isos I’ve tried so far run without problems on the standard core. Seems that the reason I thought both cores were crashing was because I used the hw core from the playlist first, and it kept trying to load that one from the playlist even after I thought I had loaded the standard core

edit

ok, after some testing it’s definately just the hw core that’s crashing

also, I don’t know if this is the intended behaviour, but when setting the whole playlist to use a core, in the playlist file when running a game it changes the “detect detect” lines to the core that was used, so if you go back to the playlist menu and change the core, playing that particular game loads the original core instead of the one you just set the playlist to use.

Ok, if it’s the HW version that’s crashing, there are a few things that could be going on. Make sure you don’t have any Cg shaders active and that you’re using a the “gl” or “vulkan” video driver in settings > driver.

And yes, that behavior is expected but obviously not very intuitive.

Using the “gl” driver from the main menu causes it to crash, but if I start it with the “vulkan” driver it runs fine

Ok, it’s supposed to fall back gracefully to a GL context if your backend is set to GL, but that doesn’t always work for people. If you really want to use the GL context instead of Vulkan, try launching it in Vulkan, then go into the core options and change it to use GL and change your driver in settings > driver to GL and then close RetroArch and relaunch.

That’s alright, now that I’ve got it working I’m not gonna mess with it