Mednafen Saturn Core Aspect Ratio Off Since 1.6.3 Update

I recently updated my retroarch to the newest version since then I have seen a difference in my aspect ratio, not sure what it is. I am currently set on the core provided aspect ratio and I am not sure why but there is now a black borders around my image here is screen shot. Anybody know if a setting got changed or something?

Thanks for the help in advance.

It’s always been like that. The first and last 8 scanlines aren’t used by most games since they tend to use 320x224 resolution. Mega Man 8 is one that does use the full 240 vertical resolution, so it fills the black bar area on the top and bottom. There are initial and last scanline core options you can fiddle with to crop the top and bottom bars off, but the initial one doesn’t work right yet: https://github.com/libretro/beetle-saturn-libretro/issues/7

Maybe if someone puts a bounty on it it’ll be fixed sooner :raised_hands:t3:

Interesting I guess I never noticed. What about the black on the left and right sides? Is is it just centered because of the awkward resolution? Seems like an easy fix would just be to upscale it to a proper 240p.

I think the black padding on the sides is there to correct the aspect to 4:3. I know in stand alone Mednafen you can get rid of that by setting ss.correct_aspect to 0. But that setting isn’t hooked up in the core yet. If you’re running on a 16:9 or wider display you can create a core override config with video_aspect_ratio = “1.4667” in it to get pixel aspect ratio, which is what happens in stand alone when you set ss.correct_aspect to 0. However, if you wanted to use NiGHTS’ widescreen mode and set the aspect to 16:9, you don’t get the full screen since that padding is still there.

You can see that the padding is the accurate output since it’s there on real hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmwLIZFgCf8

I’d still like to be able to at least crop off the top and bottom overscan to zoom into the image of course :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. I am new to Saturn emulation so just learning the quirks here. At least now I know this was accurate to how the original hardware displayed. I had no frame of reference since nobody I knew had a Saturn back in the day. Good information to know. Thanks again!

I tested NiGHTS widescreen again and I guess I was wrong about that. It actually fills the padding area when you enable widescreen mode. So if you set it to 16:9 aspect in RetroArch’s settings it will fill the full horizontal area.