Mednafen Saturn early feedback

Hey there libretro devs. Just wanted to thank you for the WIP Mednafen Saturn core! Was testing it out today and thought I would give some general feedback on it. (I’m running Windows 7 on Retroarch 1.3.6)

Firstly, the compatibility and emulation quality seems very good. I tested Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Soukyugurentai, Panzer Dragoon 1 and Burning Rangers. All worked just great with no slowdowns or glitches.

As for performance, all the games seemed to hover between 30-40% CPU usage on my i5-3570k system. For reference, the Yabouse core is around half that, 15-25% CPU usage.

I did find some games that didn’t work correctly or exhibited major glitches like Galactic Attack and Astal. Would you prefer that I add that to the libretro mednafen saturn issues tracker or post details about that here?

• Bios settings on every new game could be looked out. Have each region configured once.
  • Can the .bcr .bkr .smpc be saved in another folder but system?
  • Overall haven’t seen any problems yet, tested about 25 games.

I had Astal hang with music on the first stage. Another time it worked quite far after the fire level, “sea of clouds or something” where I just stopped.

Then Advanced VG hanged before the last boss on mednafen stand-alone, while here on libretro it hanged earlier on a different character loading.

I think that’s just how the emulator is right now: it can glitch on CD access here and there.

Emulation issues should probably be posted where Ryphecha, author of the emulation core, will see them, which would be in this Saturn core bug reports thread on the Mednafen forums.

Oh, true. Yes, reproduce in Mednafen standalone first.

Yes, I had the same problem with Astal. It randomly hangs and also the music was glitching badly.

The second problem I found was no CDDA music in Galactic Attack. I tried two dumps, and both worked fine in Yabouse.

I’ll try the standalone Mednafen. If the problems are only in the libretro port, should I report them to the issue tracker?

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;45104]I had Astal hang with music on the first stage. Another time it worked quite far after the fire level, “sea of clouds or something” where I just stopped.

Then Advanced VG hanged before the last boss on mednafen stand-alone, while here on libretro it hanged earlier on a different character loading.

I think that’s just how the emulator is right now: it can glitch on CD access here and there.[/QUOTE]

Some problematic dumps can be “fixed” by importing them into either CDMage or IsoBuster and re-exporting them to a new image. Now I don’t know if this is a proper fix or not but dumps that I had issues with seemed to have been fixed by doing this.

Edit: I just tried Galactic Attack and it was working working perfectly fine for me, it was a Darkwater dump, just a cue + bin file with no external audio files.

Edit 2: Here is a quick demo video of Galactic Attack, please let me know if there are any issues that you see in the footage.

Also, you can convert MAME/MESS Saturn chd dumps into bin/cue using the chdman utility that comes with stand alone MAME. You use the extractcd command:

chdman extractcd -i gamename.chd -o gamename.cue

Good to know if I had any chd dumps :wink: