I’ve been having a very similar issue the last few weeks as well. Not sure if the root cause is the same, but on my end, I’ve got it on a 60hz TV and usually running at 60fps, but once a game is launched, it drops down to 12-15fps in the menu. The game still runs fine.
Things that I’ve noticed in my specific situation:
- In the past, this sort of menu stuttering has been present if Windows has HDR/HD Color enabled, but RA does not.
- In this instance, HDR is enabled in RetroArch prior to the game launching, but is disabled and unavailable after the game has launched. This has not previously been an issue
- The issue is somewhat resolved if any applied shaders are removed (menu framerates rose to ~30-40fps, but never achieved the 60fps of in-game)
- Closing the content and going back to just RA sees the menu framerates return to normal
- CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
- GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
- GPU Driver Version: 23.5.2 (I experienced issues with Vulkan on any newer driver versions than this)
- RAM: 32GB
- TV: 50" TCL 50S535
- RetroArch Version: 1.16.0
Tested Cores (All cores except PCSX2 are their most current version from the Online Updater)
- PCSX2 (self-built experimental version)