MESS2014 core - How am I supposed to use it?

I’ve seen that a MESS 2014 core is now available for download through Retroarch’s core updater and I gave it a try. But when I open the core and run it, the screen remains black and nothing happens. I try to open the OSD menu through the L2 button (which works in MAME cores) but nothing.

I want to try some apple II+ ans MSX games through this core but until now I have no idea on how to use this core to run such systems/games. How am I supposed to run a MSX game or an Apple II+ game here? Any tips are welcome :slight_smile:

Ok first of all you probably want to use the core labeled MAME(just mame) as in the more recent versions of mame, mess is combined in it.

Second you need the software list and hashes to run it. you’ll need a folder named mame, with another folder named hash(with your hases in it). you put that in your system folder.

and your rom(software) need to be from the software list and in a folder called apple2p(or what ever the system’s name is from here http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/). also with your roms you need the bios files.

If you have any problems, i’ll do my best to help but i’ve never set it up on android.

For msx i suggest just using the bluemsx core as its easier to use than mame/mess.

Thanks nonekiller001, it works!! :wink:

I’ve managed to get sabotage for the Apple II + running and it’s very playable. But it’s a little tricky to get there though, I had to enter an arcade game first and then select another machine through the MAME internal UI, because when you open the core up, it’s not showing the UI as it should be. But it worked, that’s what matters anyway.