Metal Gear Solid VR Missions disc swap problem

So I’m trying to play the PAL release of MGS VR Missions, called Special Missions in PAL regions, using the Beetle-PSX core. However, the PAL release has an irritating requirement for you to boot in to the VR disc, wait for it to start, insert MGS disc 1 or 2, wait for it to be recognised and then re-insert the VR disc. No matter, I have all three discs in an M3U file and they show up in the disc index. The problem is, the VR disc remains stuck on the disc swap screen even after inserting MGS disc 1 or 2. Anyone have any ideas?

INFO: I’m using a real PSX BIOS and Retroarch is running on Windows 10. All of my disc dumps are verified on redump.

Here’s the disc swap screen I’m stuck on.

Here’s the disc index, showing MGS disc 1 (inserted), disc 2 and the VR/Special Missions disc.

EDIT: Probably unrelated, but I can still hear the last second or so of the BIOS boot sound looping in the background of this screen. This is a problem I have in general on the Beetle PSX core but that’s another topic.

I dumped these 3 discs to .chd myself intending to one day get back into the VR Missions, having spent little time on them after finishing MGS1 way back when it was released on PS1. Haven’t done so to date so don’t think I can be of much help other than to check you’ve followed this guide (it does sound as if you probably have)?

“Probably unrelated, but I can still hear the last second or so of the BIOS boot sound looping in the background of this screen. This is a problem I have in general on the Beetle PSX core…”

I did just want to chime in on this bit to say that you’re not the only one. Like you, I’m using real PS BIOS with RA on Win10. First noticed it on Wipeout 2097 with the volume up loud, seems to persist right through the opening FMV until the sound dies when you hit the first ‘Loading’ screen. Unsurprisingly, it doesn’t happen if you set the core option to skip BIOS. I’d agree it probably is unrelated to your disc swap issue; whilst it’s a weird one, I’ve noticed it happens on both my PS2 and PS3 consoles using the Wipeout 2097 PS1 game disc; Be interested to know if it happens on a PS1 with the disc but I don’t have that console to test.

Yeah, I’m following that guide to the letter, although I’m using bin + cue without compressing to chd. If you could test out your chd files for me at some point, I’d definitely appreciate it. Are you also trying to play the PAL release? I’m not certain but I don’t think the US release has this annoying “feature”. Otherwise, if I don’t get any more replies here, I’ll probably submit an issue on github.

As for the BIOS thing, that should probably be its own topic, I’ve noticed it in lots of games. I’ll probably make a post at some point, unless you want to. If you do, please tag me in it and I’ll share my experiences.

The BIOS thing is odd but given it happens on my original hardware as well, I’m not really bothered.

I do indeed have the PAL release and you’re correct about the US one; it’s definitely nice to be able to just chuck VR Missions in there and just have it work without the disk swap madness…

That said, my .chd dumps are working ok. I put Special Missions as the first disc listed on my .m3u file (so it didn’t just open MGS when I loaded it) and put it in the folder with the three .chd files. I loaded the .m3u and at first ran into the same problem as you but then noticed the 2nd sentence here:

so basically you have to keep bouncing between the RA menu and the game’s disc swap screen…bit of a pain but it works for me (deep breath):

• At the game disc swap screen, go to RA menu > disc control > eject disc
  • Go back to game disc swap screen, then back in to RA menu > current disc index > select either MGS disc 1 or 2.
  • Go back to game disc swap screen, then back in to RA menu > insert disc.

That should pull you back to the game disc swap screen and you should see all the “OKs!” flashing bottom right of the screen.

• Go back to RA menu > eject disc > back to game disc swap screen > back to RA menu > current disc index > select Special Missions disc > back to game disc swap screen > back to RA menu > insert disc.

Again, that should pull you back to the game disc swap screen, give you all the “OKs!” and FINALLY, you’re in.

I noticed that as well as the usual .mcr and .srm files, RA creates a .ldci file in the save directory when you do all this; not come across this before and presume it’s just something that happens on multi-disc games using this method but I’m not really even sure why the previous ‘Load New Disk’ method mentioned in the guide was made legacy; there must be a reason because it works just as well and you don’t need to bother making an .m3u.

tl;dr - use the US release! :smile:

I don’t know why it’s working for you and not me… I’m following the same eject disc > disc index > insert disc process as you. I have my bins and cues in an m3u. I even tried changing the order so that the Special Missions are at the top of the m3u like yours. I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong because it boots up fine in DuckStation. In Beetle PSX the OK icons just don’t appear. :frowning:

DuckStation also has the benefit of no audio glitches on the BIOS screen. However, it feels less accurate than Beetle PSX, even in software mode using the interpreter. For example, Driver has visual glitches in the menu on DuckStation but not Beetle PSX. :weary:

Scratch that. I re-read your instructions more carefully and I figured it out. Strange that you have to bounce like that. You don’t have to with DuckStation. Oh well. Thank you very, very much for helping me figure that out because I couldn’t understand what that screenshot meant, honestly.

No problem, glad you got it sussed :+1:

1 Like