Missing cores in core updater list

I seem to be missing several cores on the updater list.
Nothing for any sony systems, no dreamcast and even snes is missing… how can I fix this?

Thanks

I face the same problem. I can’t find any N64 core in the updater list. The steps described here https://www.libretro.com/index.php/category/nintendo-64/ don’t work, because it’s not in the list:

Where to get it

1. Start RetroArch.
  2. Go to Online Updater -> Update Cores.
  3. Download ‘Nintendo 64 (Parallel N64)’ from the list.

You didn’t provide any information about your system to know what could be amiss, but I’m going to take a wild guess and assume you’ve installed one of the msvc builds, which only have access to a few of the cores. You’ll need to download the regular Windows 64-bit bundle/installer instead.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. My system is Windows 10 (64 bit). And yes, your guess was right: I tried the MSVC build (this one: http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.7.0/windows-msvc2010/x86_64/), because the regular Windows version (https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.7.0/windows/x86_64/RetroArch-1.7.0-x64-setup.exe) did not start on my system:

The installer shows an error at about 90% (Install DirectX was enabled):

C:\Users\x\AppData\Local\Temp Not program is assigned for executing this action on this file. Install a suitable program or assign an existing one as “standard” in system control.

(I’ve tried to translate the German error message…)

After that error the installer claims, that the setup finished successfully. When I try to run Retroarch, the windows pops up and disappears after 2 seconds.

The MSVC build installs and runs without problems, except for the missing cores. I’d be thankful, if you could point me to the right direction to solve this issue.

Can you try the non-installer version? that is, the portable bundle? It may not start for you right away, but I think we might be able to work through whatever issues we run into.

I’ve tried all Retroarch versions for Win 10 (installer, non-installer, 32 bit, 64 bit) as well as retroarch_debug.exe included in the portables. Always the same issue: A windows pops up for a second or two, but closes before any content is shown (see attached screenshot). Could that be some problem with the graphics driver?

It could be, yeah. Do you have your GPU manufacturer’s driver installed? Or are you using the built-in driver that comes with Windows?

I’ve tested Retroarch on a different Win 10 64 laptop. During the installation I got the same error message as described above. It didn’t start, either. But in contrast to my machine I got relatively clear errors regarding missing DirectX9 DLLs. I concluded that the strange error message meant that DX9 did not get installed during the setup. I installed DX9 manually from here: https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/1/1718CCC4-6315-4D8E-9543-8E28A4E18C4C/dxwebsetup.exe And tataaa…it worked.

So I applied exactly the same steps to my own laptop… Unfortunately, it was not successful: Retroarch still crashes right after the start and before the menu is displayed.

I’ve an integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000. It runs with the built-in Windows driver. Everything looks OK in the device manager and in the event viewer… I can’t find any indicators for driver issues…

1 Like

Could you please post a log? That is the single most important step for troubleshooting. https://buildbot.libretro.com/.docs/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

Thanks for your help. Here is the content of the log file (yes, that’s all of it…):

[INFO] RetroArch 1.7.0 (Git 4b68a21a7)
[INFO] === Build =======================================
[INFO] Version: 1.7.0
[INFO] Git: 4b68a21a7
[INFO] =================================================
[INFO] [Config]: Loading default config.
[INFO] [Config]: loading config from: (null).
[INFO] Environ SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565.
[INFO] Redirecting save file to "C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\saves\.srm".
[INFO] Redirecting savestate to "C:\Users\x\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch\states\.state".
[INFO] Version of libretro API: 1
[INFO] Compiled against API: 1
[INFO] [Audio]: Set audio input rate to: 29970.03 Hz.
[INFO] [Video]: Video @ 960x720
[INFO] [GL]: Found GL context: wgl
[INFO] [GL]: Detecting screen resolution 1366x768.
[INFO] [GL]: Vendor: Microsoft Corporation, Renderer: GDI Generic.
[INFO] [GL]: Version: 1.1.0.

The above file was generated using

.\retroarch.exe --log-file .\retroarch-log.txt -v

.\retroarch_debug.exe --log-file .\retroarch-log.txt -v

gives the same output.

I’ve meanwhile tried switching off my anti-virus software…no effect…

HD3000 in Win10 is a special case, unfortunately. However, if you open your retroarch.cfg in a text editor and change video_driver from “gl” to “d3d11” it should work. You won’t be able to run a small handful of cores that require GL, but the vast majority should be fine.

Thanks for your quick reply. My retroarch.cfg was empty, except for the entry config_save_on_exit = “true”

Therefore, I added the line video_driver = “d3d11” Afterwards the Retroarch window didn’t even come up. The log shows:

[INFO] RetroArch 1.7.0 (Git 4b68a21a7)
[INFO] === Build =======================================
[INFO] Version: 1.7.0
[INFO] Git: 4b68a21a7
[INFO] =================================================
[INFO] [Config]: Loading default config.
[INFO] [Config]: loading config from: (null).
[ERROR] Couldn't find any video driver named "d3d11"
[INFO] Available video drivers are:
[INFO] 	vulkan
[INFO] 	gl
[INFO] 	d3d
[INFO] 	sdl2
[INFO] 	gdi
[INFO] 	null

With the setting d3d Retroach loads (which I take as proof that it is a driver issue…), but looks weird.

It looks to me as if there is a problem with DirectX11. Hence, I checked with dxdiag (find log attached), but couldn’t locate any obvious problems there…

The dxwebsetup.exe says: Everything up to date.

Is it possible to reinstall DX11 in Win 10 (since it’s already part of the system…)?

EDIT: Here is the dxdiag-log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yFw91bKq7XAuarfW1JsJgY1F5-0FdVfL/view?usp=sharing