More N64 Controller mapping questions! :D

So I am trying to play Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater which for the most part uses only the 4 C buttons. If I load up the game and go to the retroarch menu to adjust the “Core Input” options, I try changing C-Down to be "b’ button, and ‘Y’ to be C-Left, ‘A’ for C Right and ‘X’ for C-UP. However, no matter what I do, it seems the controls remain at the default state once I am in game. Any idea how to fix this?

Second question, if I enabled Per Game Configs, will my Core Input options also be matched per game, or is core input options only related to the core? Say in another game I’d rather have B and Y correspond to A and B rather than C down and C Left.

You have to turn off Autoconfig Enable in Input settings, then map everything in Input User 1 Binds manually to do a custom mapping setup.

I just made a post here that describes how to use the override system to do per game controls for N64. Hopefully it’s not too confusing.

[QUOTE=Awakened;38024]You have to turn off Autoconfig Enable in Input settings, then map everything in Input User 1 Binds manually to do a custom mapping setup.

I just made a post here that describes how to use the override system to do per game controls for N64. Hopefully it’s not too confusing.[/QUOTE]

So using this method… do I need to create a custom config for each game? Or if there isn’t a custom config for a certain game it will just use defaults?

Overrides work per-core and per-game, per-core overrides the main config and per-game overrides both, so you can have a per-core override and after that a per-game override.

Yep, so like Radius says if there is no per game override config it will use the settings from the per core override config. If there’s no per core override config it’ll use settings from retroarch.cfg in the main directory. And you only need to enter settings you want different in the per core and per game overrides; any settings you want across all cores go in retroarch.cfg, all across the core in the core config then just for the specific game in the games config.

1 Like