Mouse pointer issue (MESS/MAME cores)

After many hours of testing and troubleshooting i concluded that there is no way to play games that need a MESS driver, without the mouse pointer appearing in game. I fixed MAME and NEO GEO with MAME2016 but this core doesn’t work with MESS roms.

The only core that loads all games from all MESS drivers is a 2015 Mess build i have. The latest MAME also loads some systems but not all (GX 4000 works for instance). But the mouse pointer issue remains. Please, can you test GX 4000 + latest MAME core to see for yourself?

Again, i need to remind that this issue appeared after i updated RetroArch, not the cores. Everything was fine before.

EDIT:

I managed to find the root of the issue. It wasn’t RetroArch, it was Rocketlauncher.

I never managed to make MESS work through RetroArch anyway, so i was always using RocketLauncher to make it work. There is an option in Rocket Launcher to hide the mouse, i didn’t even know this. The reason i thought it was something about RetroArch was because the issue appeared after i update RA. And even though i never touched this option in RL, all the other cores didn’t make the mouse appear, just MESS did.

Got the same problem here with mame core only. I don’t have overlays enabled. I can get rid of the mouse cursor by hitting f11 but that brings up the mame FPS counter up the top right.

Resurrecting this.

Mouse pointer appears when I use an overlay, as indicated early in this thread. I assume a direct fix will not be forthcoming so I’m looking for alternative solutions (an external app).

I got around it by hitting F to exit fullscreen, and then hitting F again to go back into fullscreen. That seems to hide the mouse cursor for me.

That isn’t a great solution if you are using a controller only for couch gaming though.

I guess you could bind a controller button to “F” using a third party program but it’s not a good option since you basically make one of the buttons useless for any game.

Brand new RetroArch user here. Just now setting up my first arcade cabinet, added Tempest, and noted the exact same behavior of seeing the Mouse when using a spinner. I attempted what others had mentioned:

1. Using MAME 2016 core (no effect. Mouse still displays.)
  2. Disabling overlays (no effect.)
  3. Pressing F11. (Does make the mouse go away, but also makes some weird numbers appear at the upper right corner. This setting also doesn’t appear persistent meaning I’d have to press it every time I launched the game. Not ideal for family members.)

I don’t have high hopes since this thread seems to have gone cold, but has anyone else had any luck resolving this?

Update to a RetroArch nightly. It was fixed awhile ago, but I can’t remember if it was before or after the last stable release.

I just figured that one out late last night - found the fix notification in GitHub. It was actually just resolved in late December. Guess I got lucky.

Thank you!!!