Mouse pointer issue (MESS/MAME cores)

Just updated to the latest nightly (and redist files) after about two months. Everything looks good except when i load MESS or MAME cores, the mouse pointer shows up in the middle of the screen. This didn’t happen before, any way to get rid of it without having to move it all the time?

You can hit F11 for mouse grab.

I didn’t see any cfg setting for it. We would need something like mouse_grab_by_default = 1 perhaps?

Hitting F11 makes it go away but it doesn’t remember it. You have to hit it every time you load a game.

I don’t know if there is a setting for it but previous versions of RetroArch didn’t have this problem.

It only shows up very rarely for me with the MAME 0.181 core and recent nightlies. There was a general RetroArch issue where the cursor wouldn’t hide if you hit F to enter windowed mode and then F again to go back to fullscreen that was fixed awhile back. The cursor used to show a lot more often with MAME when launched directly in fullscreen before that was fixed. Maybe this is something lingering from that.

It shows all the time for me using the last MESS core and a MAME git 2015. But only on recent versions of RetroArch.

I’m using windowed fullscreen.

Downloaded the latest version and i still have this problem.

Is this the same for everyone? I’m using a slightly older version of MAME and the final version of MESS cores.

Bump, problem persists in version 1.4.0

Mouse pointer is visible in-game and when i go to RetroArch menu there’s also the RA mouse pointer underneath… so i see 2 mouse pointers at the same time, one on top of the other. It’s bizarre.

Could an option be implemented to disable the mouse completely when loading cores in RetroArch?

Btw mouse is using in mame osd for mame 0.180+ core

What does that mean? The newer core doesn’t have this problem?

I can’t use the latest one because my roms are from 2015. So i use a core from 2015. But i don’t think it’s a problem with the core. This problem appeared recently after i updated RetroArch itself. In older versions of RA, the mouse pointer didn’t appear in-game.

By pressing F11 it goes away but if i load a new game it appears again. This is not a good thing for a couch-gaming setup. Because you have to go to the keyboard and press it every single time.

Can an option be implemented to make this F11 function the default? So instead of having to press F11 to make the mouse disappear, you press it to make it appear.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an overlay enabled? That makes the mouse show up.

Mouse shows up here too when launching any x68000 game as an example. It happened a while ago and needs you to push F11.

A mouse grab cfg line would fix that yes.

No, i don’t have overlays

The problem carries on in version 1.4.1

Is there a place where i can post a ticket of some sort, for an option to grab/ungrab the mouse pointer and make my choice the default?

Thanks.

It appears that the problem doesn’t affect only MESS or MAME.

The mouse pointer appears in ALL cores if i use exclusive full screen instead of windowed. Can someone else please confirm this? I feel like i’m the only one affected since nobody else is complaining about this.

If i’m indeed the only one, maybe someone has an idea of how can i fix this? It doesn’t let me get rid of the keyboard in my living room.

I also opened an issue in github https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/4586#issuecomment-278483596

Bump.

Does this affect more people? I still don’t know.

I do not have this issue. Maybe try deleting your retroarch .cfg file or checking if you have a program such as an anti-virus scanner which interacts with RetroArch.

I deleted the cfg and it created a fresh one.

I disabled my antivirus completely.

STILL have the issue. It only affect MESS and MAME. It’s starting to drive me mad because i can’t find the source of the issue. It just started after i updated RetroArch one day (not the cores).

Is an option to ungrab the mouse in the options a possibility?

Btw, i’m using the MAME build from this topic

Can someone test it?

A new update on the issue.

I managed to fix this annoying problem by using the MAME2016 core instead of the one i had before. However, that only fixes Neo Geo and MAME.

For MESS i still can’t find a solution. If i try to use MAME 2016, Retroarch crashes when i try to load any MESS game. If i use the latest regular MAME core, the mouse cursor still appears.

Since this is an issue specific to MAME/MESS, it might help to add those keywords to the title of your thread. There are only a few experts on the MAME code around – this title may not be catching their attention.

Sorry if this is too unrelated, but I am having trouble on getting a trackball to work at all in mame. trying to get it to work for trackball related emulation. i see the mouse cursor move in the retroarch menu. ive tried both the 2014 and 2016 cores. i seen a mame ini file in the system folder of retroarch and made sure that the input number next to the mouse option was 1 instead of 0.