Mouse won't Hide Ubuntu 17.x

Sorry if this is a Linux/Ubuntu thing but I’ve been googling well over an hour and haven’t been able to find anything, so to the forums I must go as I’ve lost patience and I’m too new to Ubuntu to really troubleshoot effectively on my own.

When I open Retroarch, the mouse is ALWAYS visible and if I click it will pull a window ahead if there is any open in the background. That part isn’t that annoying, but if I open a game the mouse is always present. Since I have RetroFE set up for the front end and use a PS3 (Soon to be arcade stick) to control menus, I’d really like to figure out why the mouse will not go away.

I’ve disable mouse support, enabled, etc. No matter what I do I cannot click the retroarch window, it just pulls whatever is behind it in front.

I’m running Ubuntu 17.10x64 with Retroarch from the store. Everything else seems to work peachy, and I just had to reinstall ubuntu and it was working fine before. I tried reinstalling from the store but no avail. Again, sorry if I’m a Linux nub.

I also believe I followed all the directions with the PPA as well.

In settings > video, is ‘windowed fullscreen’ OFF? Do you have any overlays enabled?

1 Like

Yes, and no I do not have any overlays enabled (Or at least I didn’t enable any myself) - I just reinstalled this box and this problem has stopped me from setting up Retroarch because I don’t want to have to do it a third time if I have to blow it up completely. I’m not even sure how to do that on Linux, though. A re-download doesn’t seem to blow away my config.

Edit: Did check, had overlays on (by default?) but it did not make a difference. I still cannot click the Retroarch window without clicking whatever is behind it and the mouse never goes away.

Just for future reference, you can wipe out your RetroArch installation’s configs, etc. by deleting ~/.config/retroarch. If you’re using the snap package, it’s located in ~/snap/retroarch/current/.config/retroarch instead.

Okay, in settings > driver, you can try changing your input driver from udev to linuxraw to see if that one treats you any better.

Note: I use Ubuntu 7.10, as well, but I don’t have any of the issues you’re describing.

1 Like

That’s the weird thing, mine wasn’t either until I reinstalled Linux.

Ha! knowing where to look really helps when you’re trying to do a full wipe. Now it works beautifully! Thanks for your help! Sorry, I just started my Ubuntu life but Microsoft has pissed in my cheerios one too many times now and even though I’m a complete nub in Linux right now I feel the freedom pouring out my ears.

Out of curiousity, if I build another machine can I save my config and move it to it? I don’t want to have to set up shaders/PS3 controllers/etc again :stuck_out_tongue:

Linux takes some getting used to, but it’s worth the trouble, IMO.

You can usually transfer most things, but paths don’t necessarily transfer over and can cause some issues unless you’re setting it up exactly the same as before.

1 Like

I love it already. Working in IT has given me a passionate hate for all things Microsoft because I learn just how dirty what they do is. It’s all geared towards making you pay them to do things instead of making it easy to do things yourself. That may have worked in the 90s and early 00s but this is why they are slowly getting pushed out of the business world and are all but extinct in the average household. The only faction of household clients they have now is PC Gamers, almost everyone else is onto Tablets or Mac.

Hey, good news: I was able to reproduce the weird issues you were describing when I compiled RetroArch myself.

bad news: I don’t know any solution for it yet, other than using the snap package, which seems to be okay in that respect.