Multiple Configs Per Core

Hi,

I suspect this is a strange use case, but I wanted to see if there is a way to do it…

I’m trying to use a single core (mGBA) for GameBoy, GameBoy Color and GameBoy Advance games. That all works as it should. However, I wanted to use different shaders for each type of system (gb, gbc, gba) as core override.

I don’t see a way to do that other than on a per game basis. Is there a way?

I tried copying the core dll and renaming it per system, but Retroarch sees all the cores as the same core when I do that.

Any help is appreciated.

Keep the games for each system in separate folders.So have three folders:

gb
gbc
gba

Now load one game from each system, configure the shader how you want it, then in Shaders->Save select Save Content Directory Preset. The shader preset files should then be saved as:

retroarch/config/mGBA/gb.slangp
retroarch/config/mGBA/gbc.slangp
retroarch/config/mGBA/gba.slangp

And they should be applied automatically when content is loaded from the respective folder.

With that being said, mGBA is a great GBA emulator, but not that great of a GB emulator :stuck_out_tongue: Why prefer it over SameBoy?

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll give it a try.

As to why mGBA, no particular reason other than it seems to work just fine. :). But, if other emulators are better at a specific task (i.e. SameBoy for GameBoy games) I’m happy to do that too. Just trying things out as a go along setting things up!

Yeah, SameBoy is one of the best GB/GBC emulators right now. Has higher CPU requirements to reach the accuracy it has, so it might not run well on something like a Raspberry Pi 3. But on a PC, it should have no problems whatsoever.

Gambatte is also a very good emulator. It’s apparently not as accurate as SameBoy, but it can run on very weak CPUs.

mGBA’s support for GB/GBC is not bad, but as the site itself says, it’s not as good as GBA support https://mgba.io/faq.html#how-good-is-compatibility