Multiple directories for Boxart and MAME directory scanning

I have each collections boxart in its own folder named after the lpl in a central boxart folder. Can Retroarch look in multiple subdirectories for boxart? If not, can you configure boxart directories on a “per core” basis? I understand if its not ready yet. Just want to make sure Im not missing something. The MAME directory scanning is not working for me. Is that a known issue or am I missing something.

EDIT: found MAME directory scanner answer here http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3599

MAME scanning doesn’t work yet. We still have to make some decisions on how that’s going to function.

If you have per-core configs turned on, you should be able to set a different ‘boxarts dir’ for each one, yes.

Is MAME different to handle w regard to the playlist compared to e.g. NES? I don’t mean to be rude, just curious and keen to use the new menu for all games. As I wrote in my post earlier we can already manually make the MAME playlist and add items to it. So why not as a temporary solution add an “select file and detect core” action RA detects that such a MAME playlist exists. Automated MAME playlist generation and perhaps better ways to launch games from playlist could come later. Of course if those things are just around the corner then such a stopgap solution would be unnecessary. Cheers.

Many MAME ROMs are quite large (particularly when CHDs are involved), so we need to decide if we’re going to hash those, which can take a very long time with large collections. If we are going to hash them, we have to decide if we’re going to actually hash them ourselves or trust the hashes in the zip file headers (CRC hashes for the archive are part of the zip spec). Then, we have to decide how we’re going to handle the fact that we support a handful of different versions, which each requires its own set+hashes. Are we going to make separate collections for each MAME core? Similarly, for CHDs and CD-based platforms (which also don’t support scanning yet), since hashing would take a very long time, we have to figure out some other way of identifying them, which is complicated further by bin/cue (and exacerbated by multitrack bin/cue) and how we determine which files are related to a given game.

So, you see: lots of undecided issues at this point. We tackled the easiest stuff first and put it out there for people to play with rather than sitting on it until everything was figured out.

Improvements are planned for 1.3 (dunno if MAME scanning will make it there or not), but that’s going to have to wait because we’re still focusing on getting 1.2* releases out for other platforms. Launching manually collected ROMs from any collection (not just MAME) would be good, but again, it’s going to have to wait while we try to get the other platforms up to speed.

Ok, I see. I had kind of forgotten how messy the MAME ecosystem is. Since it may take a while I made a script that OCR scrapes the currently selected game name from the XMB window, looks it up in the (manually generated) MAME.lpl file and command line runs the matching core and rom. Works often enough. If anyone else wants it let me know.

ha, that’s crazy :smiley:

necessity is the mother of invention

user darkludx posted a temporary workaround for manually adding playlists that can run games here: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3599&p=26652&viewfull=1#post26652

Yesterday, I pushed a commit that let the menu look in directories named after the no-intro systems. It should fix those name conflicts.

The new code will look for path like this:

<boxart_dir>/Nintendo - Game Boy/Named_Snaps/Zool - Ninja of the ‘Nth’ Dimension (Europe).png [FONT=arial] The “Named_Snaps” string is hardcoded for now. It comes from this website naming convention: [/FONT] https://screenshotpalace.wordpress.com/no-intro-screenshot-reloaded/

They provide many screenshots of the title screen, and in game screenshots too, placed into different directories.

Later, I will unhardcode this string, and let 3 choices: Named_Snaps, Named_Titles, and Named_Boxarts.

[QUOTE=Kivutar;31327]Yesterday, I pushed a commit that let the menu look in directories named after the no-intro systems. It should fix those name conflicts.

The new code will look for path like this:

<boxart_dir>/Nintendo - Game Boy/Named_Snaps/Zool - Ninja of the ‘Nth’ Dimension (Europe).png [FONT=arial] The “Named_Snaps” string is hardcoded for now. It comes from this website naming convention: [/FONT] https://screenshotpalace.wordpress.com/no-intro-screenshot-reloaded/

They provide many screenshots of the title screen, and in game screenshots too, placed into different directories.

Later, I will unhardcode this string, and let 3 choices: Named_Snaps, Named_Titles, and Named_Boxarts.[/QUOTE]

Is this feature implemented in 1.2.2 release?