Multiple Nintendo 64 Problems

Hey Guys,

I’m having some trouble with the N64. Particularly, Castlevania - Legacy of Darkness.

The first issue I have is that when I try to select High Resolution after it detects the expansion pack, RetroArch just crashes to the desktop. Low Resolution doesn’t do this… but obviously I want High to work.

The other issue I have is regarding save-games. I don’t want to have to go through this game multiple times just to unlock the characters… so I tried downloading a save for it from GameFAQs and renamed it to the .srm file… but it just says the file is corrupt. Since I don’t know anywhere else to get files, I tried to put in Gameshark Cheats in the Cheat system (which I’ve never used) and it didn’t work either…

Can someone please help me?

Enabling Hi-res mode in games that have such an option does pretty much nothing unless you’re using the Angrylion plugin, which is currently unbearably slow. Leave it off and use Glide64 instead.

I’m not even sure what plugin I’m using lol. Good to know it’s just not a supported feature right now. I guess there’s always high-res packs you can download. Never done that though… But I’m digging playing this with the S-Video shader on, so I don’t want it too fancy anyway lol

Thanks the response!

It’s not that it’s not supported (although maybe it’s not if it crashes), it’s that all of the plugins except for Angrylion are HLE and render at the resolution given in Core Options, regardless of whether a game supposedly has a hi-res mode of some kind. With such plugins, hi-res mode will do nothing at best and cause major slowdown at worst.

as far as saves go, i just created a nintendo 64 folder under the saves folder on retroarch. i just named the folder as the same folder i keep my roms for n64 in. once i did that i have had no issues it saves every time i close out of retroarch.