Multiple PS3 DualShock 3 controllers on MacOS?

Hello

I’m repurposing an old iMac 27" to be a dedicated retro gaming console. I haven’t bought any controllers yet, but I can get PS3 DualShock 3 controllers for pretty cheap. I’d like to know how well this will work. Ideally I’d like to mostly play 2-player games, but occasionally have up to 5 simultaneous players.

Does RetroArch work well with multiple DS3 controllers on MacOS? I’d want to use them connected wirelessly via Bluetooth.

For further detail, it’s a 27" iMac (mid-2010, iMac 11,3), i7 2.93 GHz, 32 GB Ram, ATI Radoen HD 5750 graphics, MacOS El Capitan 10.11.6. I’ll be using RetroArch 1.7.7.

Thanks!

• Jeff

@jclarke0000 DS3 controllers are supported natively on macOS, you just need to plug them via USB for the pairing process, then push the center PS button…

Thanks for your reply. I know the DS3 is supported natively — I had played the odd game on my MacBook with a DS3 controller in the past — but I was more concerned with if there was any performance implication when multiple controllers are being used simultaneously. Generally I’m looking for someone with first-hand experience playing games using RetroArch on MacOS with multiple DS3’s to say either that there were no problems at all or that there is some gotcha to look out for.

For context, I’ve read that DS4 controllers perform “better” on MacOS, but without any context as to what “better” means… easier to pair? Lower input lag? Some other factor? But DS4’s are currently expensive — I can buy 5 overstock DS3’s for less than what one DS4 would cost… at the moment I’ve found no reason that justifies spending the extra money on DS4’s. I just want to make sure that game play won’t suffer as a result of my “cheaping out” :wink: