Multitap Support?

Hey,

I’m a big fan of Retroarch’s portability, customization options, and ease of use. However, after reading up on the wikis for each core, I realized that many cores don’t feature multitap support (at least according to the wiki pages). I’m definitely a social gamer, and would love to experience some great couch multiplayer. Snes9x Next has multitap support, but Mednafen PSX, Nestopia, and maybe Yabause (haven’t tested) don’t support a full multitap setup. I know Mednafen PSX allows up to 4 players, but not 8. I’m a big sports game fan so if I could play Madden or NBA Live with seven friends, it would be euphoric.

Are there any plans on making these cores compatible with multitap support? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

P.S. there’s an Xbox One USB stick that I’ve seen on Amazon that allows up to eight players to connect seamlessly, so plugging in eight controllers isn’t the hassle it may seem.

Anybody out there that knows about this issue?

I think Nestopia supports up to 4 players, you just need to have the NstDatabase.xml in your system/BIOS directory so it can know when to enable it.

For mednafen-psx, does it support it in standalone? If so, we just need to hook it up.

I’m having a similar problem. Running emulator and trying to get 4 players to show up on PSX games. Right now only 2 players show up. I’ve read that you need to switch port 2 to multitap but when I go to Menu it only gives options of RetroPad for all four ports.

Seems like everyone is using controllers but I have an arcade set up that maps to keyboard keys.

Any advice? Very new to this all and any help would be great!!!

which core are you using? PCSX-ReARMed needs to enable the multitap in the core options, IIRC

So I believe my core is Beetle PSX HW.

I’m a big newbie to all this. So when I go into retroarch folders and into core I see 3 dlls. Flycast, MAME, and mednafen_psx_hw_libretro.

I did go into the ePSXe emulator and on port 2 enable multitap there and then configured the other game pad 3 and 4 there.

ePSXe has nothing to do with us, so what worked there doesn’t really inform what works in libretro/RetroArch.

To set the multitap with beetle-psx, you’ll need to load the core plus a game, then go into quick menu > controls and set the port 2 device to multitap there.