Mupen64 crashes on restart, can't get perfect scaling

I’m having two issues with Mupen64:

First, every time I change settings and then hit restart and resume, RA hangs for a while and then crashes.

Second, I can’t seem to totally eliminate scaling artifacts even if I set integer scale on and crop overscan off. Is this a problem for anyone else?

Yeah, that core can be fragile sometimes :stuck_out_tongue:

Scaling looks fine to me. I use gln64 for the gfx plugin and 320x240 for the internal resolution.

[QUOTE=hunterk;22316]Yeah, that core can be fragile sometimes :stuck_out_tongue:

Scaling looks fine to me. I use gln64 for the gfx plugin and 320x240 for the internal resolution.[/QUOTE]

I think I’m just losing my mind, I keep seeing moire w/scanlines but when I look at a screenshot in a graphics program I don’t see it.

[QUOTE=hunterk;22316]Yeah, that core can be fragile sometimes :stuck_out_tongue:

Scaling looks fine to me. I use gln64 for the gfx plugin and 320x240 for the internal resolution.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask what your other video settings are? I’m still getting some artifacts and I can’t figure out where the problem is.

The same procedure I’ve used to get perfect scaling on other systems isn’t working, here.

Normally, I just turn on integer scale and turn off crop overscan, and then set a custom resolution that gets me as close to a 4:3 aspect ratio as I can get. I leave my video output resolution at 1080p (my monitor’s native res) and I set retroarch render resolution to “config.” This has resulted in perfect scaling for all systems except for N64 and PSX, which I can’t seem to figure out. I tried crop overscan on, but that didn’t change anything.

I notice the problem while playing the game in RA, but not when I look at a screenshot in a graphics program.

I’m not doing anything special, AFAIK. I use 3-point bilinear filtering for the texture scaling, but I don’t know that it matters in this case. I do know that using the glide plugin with nearest neighbor texture scaling makes for some ugly scaling issues.

Is it happening with all games on those cores or just some of them? All of the time or just some of the time? I’m wondering if it could be related to resolution changes, which were very common with both systems (for example, the PSX BIOS animation is interlaced 480i, as are many menus, while most of the games are non-interlaced, and it can switch back and forth repeatedly as needed).

[QUOTE=hunterk;22349]I’m not doing anything special, AFAIK. I use 3-point bilinear filtering for the texture scaling, but I don’t know that it matters in this case. I do know that using the glide plugin with nearest neighbor texture scaling makes for some ugly scaling issues.

Is it happening with all games on those cores or just some of them? All of the time or just some of the time? I’m wondering if it could be related to resolution changes, which were very common with both systems (for example, the PSX BIOS animation is interlaced 480i, as are many menus, while most of the games are non-interlaced, and it can switch back and forth repeatedly as needed).[/QUOTE]

I think the problem is resulting from the fact that I’m using a render resolution that is different from my display’s native resolution. All scaling problems vanish when I set my render resolution to 1080p, to match my display resolution. Of course, this means I’m playing in a tiny letterboxed window most of the time, which is annoying, but less so than scaling artifacts.

Since I’m using the Pi, this effectively means no shaders can be used, since the pi can’t handle shaders at a resolution above 960x720. Interlacing works, but puts further restrictions on window size.

I think the only solution is to always have integer scale on, set a custom resolution that is as close to 4:3 as I can get, and use an overlay for scanlines.

I never realized how much I hated fixed-pixel displays until now.