Mupen64plus next full screen?

I’ve just downloaded the mupen64plus next core and it’s excellent so far. I’ve changed the resolution and some other graphics settings in the quick menu and it’s applied to the whole core which is what I wanted.

I’ve noticed that some games are in a smaller window (set to full screen) than others. There’s black bars on the top and bottom when set to 4:3. I get the side bars at 4:3 but the top and bottom?

Is there a way to have all n64 games as 4:3 “full screen” (not counting the side bars on a 16:9 monitor)

Photos attached, have a look at the different bar sizes or non at all across a few n64 titles with Mario kart 64 being the full screen of the games.

Cheers, Chris.

1 Like

Unfortunately, those black borders are a part of the game’s programming, so there’s not really any way to automatically figure out what’s part of the image and what’s border. You can, however, use the image-adjustment shader’s “zoom” setting to zoom in on the image or use a custom aspect ratio to stretch it larger than the screen.

3 Likes

What are the Names of these Shaders and where would I get them from?

I have not used Shaders on Retroarch so I am a Beginner of them

It’s a bare shader that lives in the ‘misc’ directory. You have to go to quick menu > shaders and then where it says “shader passes 0” increment it by 1, then where it says “shader #0 NA”, navigate to [shader type]/misc/image-adjustment, then when it brings you back to the shader menu, hit ‘apply changes’

3 Likes

I did that and just made the Screen Smaller. Is that Right?

Screenshot what I did:

I’m not sure about the Cg version, as I haven’t touched it in a long time, but it shouldn’t usually do anything to the image by default. Once you apply it, though, you can go into the parameters and adjust whatever you want, including zoom.

1 Like

Hi, try this… Pause game and go to options… enable Overscan… you can edit Overscan Offset Top Left etc… Save setting PER game… Some games like Wave Race run great in 16:9… in options…Aspect Ratio - 16:9 ADJUSTED! …

1 Like

Thanks so much for this!

I know this is an older thread but this setting is still relevant and has helped me ‘fix’ my Mario Kart 64 settings in Mupen, as I couldn’t find any appropriate aspect ratio options for the core.

On my 1920x1080 screen, applying the .slang variant of this shader and setting the Horizontal and Vertical Overscan % values to 2.00 and 17.00 respectively has pretty much completely removed the black bands from the top and bottom, without any visible cropping of the image, far as I can see :partying_face:

Still not sure why Mupen on default settings was adding these black bands top and bottom whereas Parallel-N64 wasn’t (maybe some technicality with vulkan driver?) but I’d wanted to use the Mupen core as I understand from the blog posts that it’s the way forward and the image and general performance did seem better to me. Here are a couple of images for comparison:

Parallel-N64 on default settings:

Mupen on default settings:

Mupen on default settings with the shader options applied:

1 Like

zooming from the core options is better because it doesn’t mess up the scanines when you use crt shaders.

Noted as I’ve not played with any other shaders on this core yet but how are you doing this? This is what I meant by not being able to find any appropriate aspect ratio options for the core, though if there is a zoom function I’ve missed, it does sound like the quicker option?

Also is there any way to save either option to default on at startup? I’ve set up my game options file but still need to reapply the shader from scratch. Maybe I need to save a core options file once the shader’s set but I don’t necessarily want it to run on any other N64 content I run down the line.

Its the overscan options. Try changing those and when you are happy with a certain game you can manually save a core options game override for that particular game.

If you change something and don’t save manually, it will still save the changes automatically as a default for every game that doesn’t have a game override. So if you dont want to change the defaults make sure you revert any changes that you did before quiting a game, or make the mupen64plus.opt file read only.

Keep in mind that some games do have black bars on top and bottom natively. If you remove those without cutting the image left and right, you basically mess the aspect ratio of the game. You need to cut the black bars around the image equally until there is none left at left/right but there maybe some left at the bottom/top.

Hmm, the only core overscan option I can find from the quick menu is ‘Crop Overscan’, which goes up in increments of 2, is that the one you mean? If so, unless Mario Kart 64 has some serious native black bars top and bottom, then I’m not sure this one works quite as well as the shader, not for me, at least: raising Crop Overscan by even a few points for me (value = 8 or 10) crops the hell out of the image.

Tbh, I’m not too fussed about scanlines for N64 anyway but if I can save these existing shader parameters to my game options file so that it loads automatically when I start the game (like my controller remaps do), that’d be cool.

You can save shaders per game in the shader menu.

Also, make sure you are using NTSC roms. PAL games used to have larger borders in general.

Ah, ok cheers, I think it may well be a PAL rom, actually…

Also, I found the overscan options finally: I have ParaLLEl set for both RDP and RSP so they don’t show (I set to GLideN64 and HSE to try them out but still end up with image cropping).

Thanks again!

This seems to be the result of Mupen applying PAL aspect ratio correction then. You get less borders with a PAL optimized rom such as Banjo Kazooie, but it doesn’t look like it’s accurate, because there is no gain in resolution at all.

With integer scaling on in the RA options and no sort cropping, you wouldn’t be able to fill the screen with any N64 US rom either on a 1080p screen, as it should max out on 960.

Okay. Can you explain how to do this in kid terms? Lol

Lol indeed, haven’t been on here myself for a while! Did you get this sorted? Happy to help if you still need.