N64 and PSX issues

I recently installed RA on my iPad 3, jailbroken 7.1.2. While it took a while to get used to the interface, I was able to get not only GBA and SNES emulations working just fine, but also my WiiMote + Classic Controller as well. But here are my problems:

1. After loading the correct BIOS for PSX, renaming them, and placing them in the appropriate directory, the gameplay for PSX ROMs is very slow and choppy, about 15-18 fps.
  2. Any time I attempt to load an N64 ROM, the app simply crashes.

Any ideas? I hope I can get this resolved, as I really want a native iPad emulator for PSX and N64 without having to wait for ZODTTD. Thanks!

Did you install RetroArch from the original repo?

The strange thing here is in my case i have an iPhone 5s on iOS 7.1.2 and happens the opposite to me… The N64 core works great but my PSX Core just crashes everytime i try to load a rom… Maybe is the iOS version… Since i updated this strange things happens.

We have the same configuration - iPad 3, jailbroken iOS 7.1.2. Like you, I get a crash to home screen loading N64 roms. So far, though, I can’t even get the diagnostic log to give me anything. If I come across a fix, I’ll post here.

Incidentally, I’m curious about your settings for the GBA cores… I have buttery smooth SNES emulation, but GBA is slow no matter the core. VBA-Next is the fastest/smoothest, but still noticeably slow with crackling audio. A few games work ok, but Zelda LttP/4swords and any Pokemon game is terrible.

I may have solved BOTH of our problems! I’m a bit of a config monkey, so I suspected SOMETHING in my config was causing both my GBA and N64 issues. So, I renamed my /var/mobile/Documents/.RetroArch to .RetroArch_old to force RA to generate a stock .cfg. Guess what? N64 roms work, and VBA-Next is almost perfect!

I started slowly tweaking settings to see if I could nail down the problem (in retrospect it would have been a lot faster to run a diff on the two cfg files). Anyway, it’s the Rewind feature. Turn it off. I know, it sucks considering this is one of RA’s signature features, but I’d rather be able to play, right?

EDIT: Let me know if this works for your PSX issues, too.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The fix you suggested worked for my being able to load N64 ROMs, but the performance is hardly better than the PSX, which was not helped by the turning off of the rewind feature in the least.

In addition, while using a Wiimote + Classic Controller, is there a way to use the analog sticks? I’ve tried, and can’t seem to figure out the config.

Thanks again!

Edit: Tried loading Pokemon Emerald using every GBA core, and the performance is terrible. Luckily, GBA.emu works great!

Maybe there’s something else in your config causing trouble in addition to Rewind. Try the first thing I did: renaming your .RetroArch folder so RA makes a fresh one. then see if there’s a difference. Also, try turning off shaders.

I changed the folder name to RetroArch_old, but remains the same. Still crashing… :frowning:

Did you try just disabling rewind? If it’s the same issue, that should fix it.

Rewind is (was, actually) totally broken and would cause segfaults on all platforms, though it was fixed very recently. It does have a small impact on performance on other cores, so if you were borderline with GBA, it could tip you into sub-60 fps.

Renamed folder with .old like you suggested, and that worked like a charm for the PSX. But the N64 games are still 26fps or lower. I tested Super Smash Bros., and it’s the worst in the character selection screen.

In addition, any ideas on how to make my analog sticks work?

Try this conf.

Tried that config., and still the analog won’t work.

Really?! Mmm did you selected Dualshock controller above?

For the low fps, make sure you’re using the dynamic recompiler (in the core options).

Incognit: Yes, the dual shock controller cfg is selected. Still no analog. Not a big deal with PSX, but I absolutely need it for N64.

Hunterk: dynamic recompiled is turned on. Works great with PSX, but crappy with N64. I’m thinking there just be something small and simple r me to change in the settings. Others have reported that it works fine so I know it’s not a bad program, and since PSX works I know it’s not hardware limitations. That only leaves some kind of config issue.

Turning off rewinding doesnt do anything. Psx roms still crash.

Thats odd… I do not understand whats the problem. I made that conf and everything started working perfectly. Mmm are you using controllers for all to connect your Ps3 controller?

Did mapped both analog on input section already?