N64 - choppy and slow as hell

Hey guys Trying not to use mupen but retroarch for 64 is stupid slow… Is there any way to deal with this? I’ve incorporated retroarch into Hyperspin so I might not be able to do anything specifically about it?

I’ve got a zippy i5 8gig ram and 64 has never been an issue!

You can try other plugins via the core options, but if I were you, I’d try the Glupen core first to see if that treats you any better.

Ok will do Can you assign different cores inside rocketlauncher is you have several? I think you can?

I think so but I don’t know anything about actually using rocketlauncher.

I can’t quite say I’ve had the perfect experience with the n64 emulators so far. I’ve tried parellel and muopen64 and have had either graphical anomalies hat entirely ruin the experience or slow game play. I’ve tried project64 before and had similar experiences so it could be the roms or just the nature of n64 emulation. One thing I will throw out there is to make sure your video driver setting in retroarch isn’tonvulkan

Both mupen64plus and glupen64 libretro cores work great for me on my 3 year old Intel (haswell) NUC, so you must be doing something wrong :slight_smile:

try different plugins, n64 emulation has been really tricky–unless probably if you can still run a 3dfx 1 or 2 card.

I think mupen64plus does the cache thing like cemu. That’s just my hypothesis though. Strange thing is that if you have a texture pack for your game, it will have no problems. Only the games without the texture packs are slow and choppy.

I’ve been working with Mupen64Plus now for a week trying to get good performance because the latest Mupen core really thew me for a loop as it was completely unplayable. The thing I found to be my problem was vsync. As long as vsync was off I was able to get good performance at a constant 60 frames. As soon as I turned it on I got crackling audio and low frames. On a whim I ended up engaging vsync and triple buffering through the Nvidia control panel instead and turning it off in Retro Arch since that has helped me in the past with some games. That made all the difference in the world. Also make sure that hard GPU sync is on and that hard GPU sync frames is set atleast to 1 and not 0. I have my frame delay set to 5 but you may actually be able to set it higher. Games I’ve tested quite extensively so far are Perfect Dark, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64, Mario 64, and Rocket Robot on Wheels which all perform excellently.