N64/Mupen64plus multiplayer glitches/issues

Hey everyone!

So, I know that N64 is a notoriously difficult system to get functioning properly, but I’m having some very specific issues with multiplayer/splitscreen games. On GoldenEye, for example, when I try to play 4 player splitscreen, I get a sort of flashing screen graphical glitch for players 3 and 4. The screen constantly strobes and presents some odd graphical oddities, but only for players 3 and 4. Single player, or even 2 player, seems to work fine. I’ve tried every combination of settings I can think of to eliminate this issue and the only thing that works is using Rice instead of Glide64 (but this brings up other graphical issues, mainly very inaccurate textures). Many other games, like Perfect Dark, are even worse than GoldenEye (Similar but more severe flashing screen issues with multiplayer).

Has anyone encountered this issue? Anyone have any idea what I can do to fix it? I know that N64 is never going to work perfectly, but I’d love to get it working enough to at least make some of the multiplayer games functional. I’m prepared to use different settings/emulators on a per game basis if necessary.

Any help or input will be greatly appreciated!

I guess what I’m really asking about here is a compatibility list. A list of games and their corresponding settings that are ideal with Retroarch using the Mupen64Plus core. There are a lot of lists out there like this one, this one, and this one. But, these lists seem to be somewhat out of date, with a lot of the information not really being accurate to more recent builds. This thread discussing per game configurations for Nintendo 64 has a compatibility list in it as well, but again, it seems to be out of date and many of the games function much better with different settings. Does anyone out there have a more updated list of settings? Or maybe they’ve been through this themselves, by hand, and could provide some personal insight on which games work best with which settings?

I know that the N64 is really problematic, but it would be great to configure as many of the games to function as is physically possible. If no one has any new information, I’m prepared to go through these games myself and report back with settings information (as well as the config files I create in the process). But, this is probably going to take a while… Haha. So, any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Yea unfortunately GE and PD can be problemmatic to run. I my self use 1964 60fps build with mouse n keyboard + glide64 + texturepak (singleplayer). If im playing multiplay i do not use glide64 as it flickers like you said so i use jabos 1.6.1

I am only new to retroarch and i find that my current setup with multiple emulators/plugins set to load for each game thru launchbox works pretty well compared to the performance i get with retroarch n64 emulation, but on the other hand when you have multiple controllers plugged in emulators can bug out and mess your controllers up hence why ive started looking into retroarch for 90% of my emulation since i like the way it handles the controller… altho n64 controller setup will allways be problemmatic.

Heres a link to one onlf my GE setups with a texture pak

Sorry seams as my previous post did not post… ill fix when i get home instead of using my phone.