Need help posting

Is it Win98FE or Win98SP1? This was the OS that caused the inconvenience of shutting down too fast and not being able to turn off the power.

If it is Win98SE, don’t forget to disable “fast shutdown”, and if it is RetroArch, you can safely close it with the ESC key at the “Ready to turn off computer” screen in Japanese.

As for DirectX, you will have to manually search for it using Google. I’m sure there is a site where someone has put it all together.

It may be because it is WinME that the ESC key from shutdown works well on my end.

1 Like

In Redump the game is on PS2 but not on PC, it would be good if you post the results on PC, and maybe in the forum they can help you to perfectly rip the second one ( have a copy in archive.org), it would be very convenient for “preservation”. :innocent:

I did not understand very well.
WinMe is a more up to date system, codecs, drivers and DirectX.
Win98SE is stock, you have to install the voodoo driver, DirectX and it is highly recommended to update the codecs, I recommend K-Lite Codec Pack v3.45, the latest version compatible with Win98.

Likewise, in WinMe it is also recommended to update drivers, codes and DirectX.

This is something inexplicable, if you have it and it is a “collector’s” version. Why do you have to buy it again? Isn’t it supposed to be a collector’s item? :man_shrugging:
And then, the discs damage themselves, then it will be box collection.

This may serve as a reference for you to understand the western vision.
Historically, animation has been seen as a product mainly for children. In Japan, on the other hand, it is general and is part of the culture. This is why it has been difficult to assimilate the contents with deep or adult plot.

I had already seen that the game is yaoi genre. Illustration, adult plot, gay themes, in the 90s/2000s, it was impossible. They don’t sell, that’s why they are exclusive in Japan, they don’t translate them.

1 Like

I published the links of the driver and DirectX, with this there is no problem because without free distribution or redistributable licenses, but he insists on the subject of piracy and I lost patience with him because I have the feeling that he is a troll. :thinking:

Windows must always be shut down. The bug is in the core that does not close itself after shutting down windows. It is a missing feature but in future versions we will have it.

What you can do is to freeze the C: disk, (it is an option in the quick menu) after the installation of the OS or the Game. This way you can close it without worries.

1 Like

There should be no such copy in such a niche game in such a foreign country. lol

So far, it looks like it was originally designed to work with early 95 since it is Win95/98SE/ME compatible. So I’m going to keep this WinME.

Yes, I laugh at this myself. However, early CD-ROMs such as PS1 have this corrosion problem, and therefore, it may be a move to repurchase them in Game Archives…but considering the appeal of RetroArch’s shaders, I’m inclined to stick with corrosive CD-ROMs. :rofl:

To be honest, as a Japanese, I could not believe that a non-Japanese foreigner would be interested in this BL or GL, or other love games… :scream:

1 Like

There are many of all kinds, and the ones that best “preserve” are the Japanese ones, they make 600dpi scans of the boxes and all the contents, it’s crazy.

But you have a pack that came out after the 4th game. It is possible that it is updated/optimized for more modern video codecs.

Programmed obsolescence. If it’s not that the CDs are damaged, it’s that they are incompatible with modern OS and if they work, then they don’t look good on modern screens. Undoubtedly, RetroArch is a virtue in these cases.

Sure, there are more than 8 billion humans in this world. But that’s not the point, this is a cultural expression that used to be available to one group, now emulation opens the cultural doors of the world.

1 Like

My apologies, I didn’t mean to insist on piracy. I was only trying to make sure I wasn’t posting anything that was piracy by saying the title of the video, I’m trying to respect your rules. If the video is wrong how do I install voodoo? It looked like there were lots of options when I tried it and I don’t know what options to choose.

Side note I’m trying to install my first game for this operating system and the game is “Full Tilt! Pinball.” Mainly because I was a fan of that space cadet pinball game that was default on most computers at the time. The game was release around 1996, would windows 98 play that? I thought I followed your instructions to the letter but the D: drive while having the file show’s nothing in it.

I opened retroarch, chose load content, Full Tilt Pinball.7z, load archive, DOS (DOSBbox-Pure),[Run Installed Operating System], Windows 98 Second Edition came up but I hit left and chose [SET AUTO START], and I found it in my D: but there was nothing there.

I also tried browsing the content and loading on two separate occasions the cue and img files to see if those work but I still get a blank D:

I do not know that game. But,

When you say Full Tilt Pinball for Windows, it should be a CD-ROM. Therefore, load Full Tilt Pinball, start up Win98, and then, since Full Tilt Pinball should be mounted on the CD-ROM in E, just run the setup file(or Autorun) in it and install it in D.

If you have cue and img, just load cue. The two must be in the same folder. img will not be recognized by Windows. Therefore, you should load the cue.

p.s.
In my opinion, it would be difficult for users who have never used an older version of Windows running on DOS to perform a setup like this.

I think a virtual machine like VMware is much easier.

I did load the game as content first, then I started dosbox pure, then chose win98 but not before setting it to autorun. It was installed in D in that the game was said to be in the drive but when I click on the drive there was nothing in it. I also did try the cue file but that does the same thing, the emulator says it’s in D drive but when I open D there is nothing there.

VMware? I don’t think it’s too easy an option.
Windows 9x (95/98/Me) are monolithic, they do not depend on DOS.

You started Windows with the game mounted on the “E:” CD-ROM. The installation on the hard disk is required.

In a CUE+BIN image, the cue file is the index, the bin is the disk image. The cue is always read. You will see the bin in “D:”. Ignore it.
You can load the cue directly or a zip of the game, the latter is recommended.

Open My Computer, double click on E: or right click and autorun , to start the installation.
In one of the windows you can choose the directory. Change C: to D: and finish the installation.

I found strange things with that game.
The initial screen for selecting the table does not work. Here are two patches, I think they are for Win95 but I don’t have time to check.
Anyway, you don’t need that screen, you can start the separate tables.

The video installation works. There is no need to “add new hardware”. The second step is the important one, but if you want to do it all, that’s fine…

Why do I share drivers and directX patches, and Windows doesn’t?
Short answer, License!

It is a matter of common sense. You can say the name of the video, game, set, etc. What you can’t do is to publish a pirate link because it is illegal and that’s why you can close the project. This is the official site of the project and if you like it, you have to take care of it.

1 Like

That’s probalbly why the game isn’t working. I will try to install window’s 95 as well. I can only find tutorials for windows 98 but I assume if I have the right discs it’s the same procedure correct? Because last time I tried it didn’t work, but I think someone said I had a bad disc. This may take me a while to try and figure out but if I have trouble I will ask.

This game came out in 1995 for ‘Windows 3.1’, then came out for Win95 in 1996 and another one in 2000.

The patches are for Win95, to fix the shortcuts that in Win3x are different, and other minor things. If you have the 1996 version or later, you don’t need it. If you have the 1995 version for Win3x, you better get a more current one, it is a pain to upgrade for DOS.

I have the 1996 version, and it installs perfectly on Win98. And you don’t need to install a newer directx, the one it has works. If you already have Windows installed, just start the installation and follow the steps.

If you have the C: disk frozen, you have to unfreeze it to install smoothly.

Well in that case I am using the 1996 version but it’s not working.

How do I do that? Because this is what I got

I don’t see an E: drive and when I open D: I see

Nothing. And I did move left before selecting windows 98 so I did choose the [autorun] option before starting.

Just out of curiosity if I have windows 98 do I need windows 95 or will those games run fine in 98?

Are you loading a 7z?

Are you serious?

:sweat:

It is a 7zip file

If the file icon doesn’t look like 7zip it’s because I also have stuffit expander (which was recommended to me for mac emulation.

VMWare or VirtualBox seems to be less of a hurdle. Because you can drag and drop files directly.

In case of RA+DOSBOX, you need to make img every time. you need to generate FD image or CD image, I think.

In the end, I decided to use Windows 95. 3dfx Voodoo1 V3.01.00 and DirectX8a. 9x + DirectX8a seems to have the same performance as 98/SE/ME, so is it wise to use Win95 to save space?

And I plan to use Win2000 as well…
Do you think the 98SE+DirectX9c combination will also run 2000/XP-only games?

Is 32-bit full color practically possible? From what I’ve tried, the colors appear to be a bit funny.

The only reason to use DX9c is compatibility, but it is very slow. DX8 is not recommended even when it came out. DX7a is faster, it is the ideal choice if the game is compatible.
Win95 in general faster (+/-15%) and occupies less, but if your machine is powerful enough, with w98 you have everything, plus you have less errors.

I have not even tried to install Windows 2000, it is 64bits. XP is not possible. I think the current ceiling is WinMe (w9x).
If the game is compatible with XP/2000, it doesn’t run on Me/98/95… It has to be compatible, there are cracks, but it depends on the game.

Yes, it is 32-bit compatible, but keep in mind that you have two video cards. The voodoo is 3D only. And the S3Trio64 is all 2D, it is quite limited and suffers with 32-bit or high resolutions.
Anyway, you don’t need 32-bit to play, almost every game takes care of changing the graphic mode and resolution every time it starts.

If you want the highest speed, 256 Colors (even 16) and 640x480 is best, the more you have, the slower the emulator. But if you want to see images, manual or multimedia, of which sometimes games include, 16-bit covers it, you rarely found 32-bit images. Those were other times.

To cover everything (w9x) and the highest speed, it would be something like this:
Win98SE + DX7a, for everything compatible with DirectX 1 to 7.
Win98SE + DX9c, for everything compatible with 8 and 9.
and WinMe + DX9c, for the games that are only compatible with Me.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me why I’m not getting the option to install a game in windows 98? I don’t see an E: drive and D: has nothing in it. The file is a 7zip isn’t it?

You have already responded.

This post is for anybody who reads it and is wondering what the solution was. Another post I made had the answer. It was the 7zip file that wasn’t working. A regular zip does work.