Need help posting

I’m trying to post a problem I’m having but the post got taken down for piracy. I’m not sure what part of it was piracy, maybe it was a site I thought was a legal site for windows installation iso’s but can I post a link to a YouTube video link? It’s about setting up windows 95 in retroarch. I will ask about the other site and it’s legitimacy if this post makes it.

Hi. You are not allowed to post copyrighted material.

You can post any link that does not have downloads of copyrighted material. If the video has download isos, will be eliminated.

Windows is commercial software and has not been released by Microsoft. “Legal” Windows image sharing sites do not exist.

If you can talk about installation or problems, post links that do not have iso downloads.

1 Like

Posting of any illegal iso or other images, ROMs or FD images is strictly prohibited (including pasting links).

However, I can provide information on just how to do a clean install of Windows 95.

Win95 without boot requires a separate boot disk FD, but I first inserted a bootable Win98SE (OEM) CD-ROM on an actual IBM Aptiva or ThinkPad, enabled the second CD-ROM instead of setup, and during boot

“Start computer with CD-ROM support”.

When MS-DOS with CD-ROM enabled started up, I remember that it worked just by replacing the disk with Win95’s and running setup.

Anyway, Win95 requires MS-DOS with CD-ROM drivers. You can either install MS-DOS with CD-ROM drivers first, or bootable Win98/SE (I believe this is the OEM version), regular Win98/SE cannot boot. In this case, the bundled Win98 boot disk is required.

However, install Win98 first and create a boot disk. At that time, I think a boot disk FD will be created that can use a CD-ROM. Insert the Win95 disk at that time.

Alternatively, you can fill in the CD-ROM driver on the MS-DOS disk and make the FD boot and read the Win95 disk.

I think it’s easier to understand this if you try it on a real machine rather than an Emulator. Of course, we recommend models from around 1995 to 2000. (Modern clock frequency too high will freeze during setup)

Once you understand the principle of operation with an actual device, you will be able to run the Emulator with RetroArch without difficulty.

If you cannot obtain an actual device such as junk, we recommend that you watch such videos on YouTube to learn how to install using an actual device.

Can I at least post a picture of my problem? The picture does show what video I am watching which does show links to sites. Isn’t Winworld a legitimate site for installation iso’s? Or does that not matter if the site hosts iso’s under copyright. But in summary is the problem I’m having caused because I’m trying to install window’s 95 first when I should install windows 98 then 95? I’m having trouble understanding some of the terms being said but I think that’s the point correct?

nop

images with links to sites nop. images without links to sites yep.

where do you want to install? which core? explain the problem.

in a windows 95 emulator you only need the bootable floppy disk and the windows 95 image. on youtube there are 500 easy videos explaining how.

you don’t have the ability to express the problem without sharing a piracy link?

As far as I remember, you picture looks like you inserted a non-bootable Win95 disk and are stuck because the AUTOEXEC.BAT file does not exist.

The Win95 FD has an AUTOEXEC.BAT file. What is AUTOEXEC.BAT? This requires learning MS-DOS knowledge as well.

But as this says, it is faster to learn by watching YouTube.

The YouTube video that shared the illegal link in the example, but since Win95 requires a boot FD, the YouTube user did not understand it and probably skipped Win95 and used a Win98 OEM bootable CD-ROM to explain it.

Thus, I think you misunderstood and were confused that Win95 can do the same thing.

I will post a screenshot of the correct configuration anyway. This screen shot should give you an idea.
Win95 is not CD bootable,

[ Boot and Install New Operating System ]

does not appear because Win95 cannot boot from CD.
However, by inserting a Win95 FD, it will appear and you will be able to install it.

Windows installations are exactly the same as in real life, only the initial hard disk selection changes. For w95 it is better to compress the bootable floppy and the iso, in a zip file and load it into PURE. If it is the case that the friend uses PURE. :man_shrugging:t2:

But this is going to be a headache, installing drivers on w95 is much more difficult than booting from bootdisk.

Windows 95C (OSR2.5), the last official release is bootable, but not compatible, it was somewhat experimental with no standard and only works with some CD-ROMs.

Windows 95 requires a certain level to install. If you have no experience I recommend Windos 98 SE.

I am currently making a simple guide on how to use DOSBox PURE, including installing Windows, but at this time of the year my time is very limited. Maybe I will publish it in January.

1 Like

OK, I’m hearing I should try windows 98 first, I will try that. I also don’t have much time with work and school but if I get stuck I will ask you guys. Where does windows 98/95 install at? Is it the dosbox pure core? Do I need to download another dosbox pure core because the other will be 98 or 95. Also I edited my picture so it doesn’t have any links, if I post it and it’s not good enough just the post will be deleted and not the whole thread correct?

I just tried it right now, Windows 98 does install easily. I’m just stuck at the part where it is asking for hard disk space. I don’t know how much to allocate. The video looks like it recommends 24 GBs and I’m worried that too much will take up too much space while too little won’t work. Can I adjust the space as needed or would I need to reinstall it if it isn’t enough? I know with Mac emulation (such as basilisk and sheepshaver) you can make a drive to store the operating system and make it as small as it needs to be but then make another for games. Then you can just keep making more drives as you need them.

1 Like

Don’t post anything with links to piracy, this is the official development forum of the RetroArch/Libretro project.
Don’t get involved in that topic.

The disks you create are archive images and only take up the space that Windows takes.

It doesn’t matter if you choose 24Gb, don’t choose 24Gb, it’s too much and it will give you multiple errors.

512 megabytes is enough. The games and programs will be installed in D, always in D, that’s why the Windows C disk will never take too much space.

I don’t see a problem with DOSBox Pure. Unlike the other game cores in RetroArch, the save location is default. It will be in the folder “\RetroArch\system”。 It will have the same name as the loaded file name.

If you load and install Windows98 many times without booting, you will notice that Windows98 will increase in the \RetroArch\system″ folder.

Thus, as with the other game cores in RetroArch, you will be able to install multiple OS, DOS games, etc. on the same core.

This was verified by me yesterday. Is the phenomenon you are describing where the CD-ROM in the E drive disappears on the first reboot during installation with Win95OSR2.5Boot + Win95OSR2.5CD?

When asked for the CD-ROM, I ignored or skipped the CD-ROM, and after the second reboot Win95 started up, I ran setup again from Win95OSR2.5 in E again and overwrote the install, and somehow this time the E drive was recognized and it worked perfectly, This was very troublesome compared to 98SE.

Also…I don’t think I will use this core much. Many DOS screens are buggy with Japanese drivers (DOS/V).

I was rather surprised that DOSBox can display Japanese.

1 Like

Only operating systems are installed in system. You can even move the installed windows to a folder and it recognizes them all the same.

(I have two w98, one with DirectX7 and the other with 9, it is a secret that I will reveal in the tutorial.) :grimacing:

DOS games and Windows games which are installed on the D: drive are saved in the “save/DOSBox-pure” folder as a zip.
This save.zip is a folder that is mounted automatically as hard disk D: and it is the one that saves all the information of the game.

After installing Windows, directx and the drivers, it is advisable to make a backup and freeze the C: disk from the quick menu, so that the registry is not damaged. It is necessary to unfreeze to install each game.

Errata: I made a mistake when I said that the disk only occupies what you select…
The Windows installation disk will occupy in the hard disk what you select. If you put 24Gb or 512Mb, it will occupy exactly that.
What is compressed is the save of the game when it is installed in D: If the hard disk says 2Gb but the game only weighs 50Mb, the save file.

This error always happens and is native to w95, in addition to others in the installation.
The most direct solution is to select the “Go to Command Line” option, activate “game focus” ScrLk/Lock key, go to the CD drive, E or F in some cases, type “E: + enter” and then type “setup + enter”. To start the installation.
Recognizing the drivers automatically will also give errors, it is better to select the manual option.

What games have given you errors? I have installed Windows in Japanese, DOS and Windows games without graphic problems. Only in my case the keyboard, PURE still does not have Japanese keyboard overlay but I can activate the on-screen keyboard in Windows itself.

For Japanese windows games, you have to install Windows in Japanese (redundancy), because even if they run, they always give errors and many need a keyboard.

The boot logo or shutdown logo on the DOS screen and the SCANDISK will cause a color garble. At this point I realized that DOS/V would cause me all kinds of inconvenience; on Windows I would have no problem. As an example.

First of all, Japanese DOS games are PC-98, so DOSBox was not for me. Also, DOSBox doesn’t have a 106 keyboard. :joy: (Japan keyboard)

1 Like

If it’s not because you tell me, I don’t realize how scarce Japanese games are on DOS.

I am also learning that there is DOS/V, obviously it will give errors in the interface because it does not support the characters, but note that the startup interface is that of PURE, and the general commands are in “normal” letters. :laughing:

This is how the game starts and this is what the gameplay looks like:

And, of course, with the translator to understand something…

Out of curiosity, I tried a Korean one…

I don’t think you’ll have any problems reproducing, unless it’s a text adventure. Anyway I will investigate if it is possible to install DOS/V.

The keyboard is coming soon, overlays are being worked on for several languages. The internal core overlay, which you activate with the L3 button on the controller.

(Ja), but it doesn’t look like the Japanese version. Is it a hack version translated into Chinese?

I know Es no Houteishiki has a PC-98 version, but I didn’t know there was a DOS/V version.

It’s taiwanese chinese! you just discovered a big internet mistake, almost every site says it’s japanese. but i’m not sure if it’s a hack and i’m not sure if there is an official version, but you can get covers for two/v as you are.

Anyway what I want to say is that Japanese DOS games load without problems, the game interface is independent from the system interface.

1 Like

I’m confused by what you guys mean when you say games are installed in d drive. Maybe I’m thinking of something else but for my computer D drive only comes up when an external hard drive is connected to my computer. So If I have nothing there isn’t any D drive.

PURE works with virtual drives.

In Windows, the C: drive is for the operating system, and you have an empty D: drive where you load the contents of the game.zip.
Floppy and CD disks are loaded in A: and E: respectively.

This is a step by step installation of a game in Windows.
First I strongly recommend you to read the official documentation and the shared guide by the core developer ‘Bernhard Schelling’, it covers all the general concepts, if you have any doubt with this or anything else, here you will get help.

I also recommend installing the graphics accelerator driver 3dfx Voodoo1 V3.01.00 and DirectX9c.

Installing a game on Windows…

• Load windowsgame.zip with PURE and select [ Run Installed Operating System ], then Windows X and press right once to activate [SET AUTO START].

These are the only different steps, from here the installation is identical to a physical Windows PC.

• In the file explorer, you will see the windowsgame.zip files on the D: drive and the mounted CDs.

• Start the installation from the CD drive and select the D: drive in the configuration. At the end you will see the installation directory “Program Files” or the one you choose in D:

• If you look inside the RetroArch saves folder, you will get two files with the name of the game. windowsgames.pure.zip saves only the AUTO START selection and the windowsgames.sav is the virtual disk where D: there is the whole game. This is new, before it was one zip for everything.

Caution. You can not modify the windowsgame.zip after installing the game in Windows, it recognizes it as a new game and you lose the installation.
I find it very comfortable to make a zip with everything, but if you need to add additional content after installation, create a zip with that content and load it with the disk tool from the quick menu.

Recommendation, make occasional backups of windows, and freeze the disk so that the registry is not damaged from the quick menu.

That’s it.