Need help posting

t was a PC-98+DOS/V bundle pack. And there are three that the Windows 95 version also exists. It was a very strange time.

Yes. We have confirmed that once the JP command (CHEV JP command in PC-DOS) is entered, the screen is disrupted for a moment, but once it settles down, it can be played without any problems.

The screen disorder was the same with DOS on the real machine. I dare to say that PC-98 also has a long and disturbed screen when Windows is installed, because a resolution that is not available in PC-98 can be used.

My concern is that the side effect of the momentary disruption of the resolution change between US and JP may be similar to the disruption in the game. I am concerned that the game may have similar turbulence.

And since it is not a 106 keyboard, it was very difficult to type ’ : ’ and ’ \ ’ and the wildcard ’ * ’ on the keyboard at hand.

1 Like

OMG! the game I thought to try, I thought it had a deep plot, but it has deep other things. I’m going to be more careful with the “adult” label in Japanese games, they’re going to kill my innocence. :see_no_evil:

I’m a bit confused…
I learned what the command is for, but I don’t understand what you need it for. DOS games have their own interface, and the characters are not even a language, they are textures like in console games.

The change of characters is used for programs that process text, or to install Windows 3.11 that is based on DOS. But Windows 9x (95/98/Me) are single core OS, they don’t rely on DOS.

I loaded a DOS/V BOOT disk, and I can handle them.
Captura de pantalla de 2023-11-11 02-55-38

I tried to install windows with that DOS/V disk (win 98 needs boot disk) and it doesn’t get past this screen.

On the other hand, with the boot disk in English, it does start the installation, obviously something happens with the keyboard, but I can type.

At this point I pressed the Esc key twice and closed it, :man_facepalming:t2:tomorrow I try again, but I had already installed a win95, but that one a Build, so I deleted it and looked for a final iso which I have not tested.

The on-screen keyboard of PURE is this one, it is thought to be able with control, it is activated with the L3 button. It has several languages but they are not designed, one that is going to have obviously is Japanese. Here you can enter all the characters, if you give me a reference (?), I will do it in the not too distant future.

And this is the windows virtual keyboard, I can’t activate it in win98, I think it is only available from winME, although there are options that can be installed, I prefer to work in the PURE layout.
osk

All DOS machines sold in Japan were MS-DOS/V or PC-DOS/V only for IBM.

Therefore, the included MS-DOS disk, boot-up disk, or pre-installed on the HDD is DOS/V. It is Japanese without permission. But to give an example, Flight Simulator 5 sold in Japan runs only in English environment.

So by typing US or CHEV US, you can switch to English mode and install or boot up there. What I’m wondering is the difference in resolution between US and JP during DOS. it looks like US is 640x400 and JP is 640x480.

This is probably a DOS/V-only feature, and you choose whether you want a US keyboard or a JP keyboard. But since you must be using a 101 keyboard, I assume you can press the space key on that screen to continue.

Of course, US keyboards do not have such keys.

If this key is present, typing it will make the keyboard a JP keyboard (106 keyboard). However, DOSBOX does not support a physical 106 keyboard, so even if you select a 106 keyboard, when you type, it will be the same as a 101 keyboard, which is quite inconvenient.

As an example, all the symbol keys in the right half of this screenshot will not match the engraving. You have to type by hand while pressing any of the keys or holding down the Shift key.

Maybe if you look up 101 keyboard and 106 keyboard in your desperation you will understand better.

I agree, and would prefer a hardware implementation of a virtual 106 keyboard and even a 106 keyboard as native to the DOSBOX.

However…how many DOS/V games are there in Japan…

I don’t like these games. lol

Press the 半角/全角(漢字) key to proceed normally.

Here is a look at the us and jp commands.

That should not affect, DOSBox supports a wide variety of standars, modes and variants, when you start the game, activate the mode you need. The most common was the “mode 13h” 320*200 known as game mode, low resolution and high frame rate, there were high resolution and text, there are many.

Indeed, with space it advances and pressing that key even if it is not marked on the keyboard, I had already read it with the translator. The failure was the DOS/V booting floppy image. I have two, one with extension .ima that does not work and another .ima, which works perfectly.

Do you like flight simulation games?
I don’t get Flight Simulator 5 in DOS/V to test, but I don’t think any DOS game gives problems because they don’t depend on the system language.

Anyway, this is experimental, to take knowledge, also because there are some rarities that are not in PC-98; The Legend of Kyrandia Book Three, Magic Carpet DX, Rayman…

On Windows it is a little different, you need the system in Japanese because the games make use of libraries, api’s etc. They load many dll and if any of them is not Japanese, then the game crashes.

And you need access to the keyboard. I’m not a fan of visual novels, maybe someday I’ll try some of them, but not that kind, in my bachelor period I may end up dislocated (Latin joke) :speak_no_evil:.
On the contrary, if I like adventure games and Japan has some exclusives, and in many cases I need the keyboard to write the answers. They haven’t heard that withpoint&click :man_shrugging:t2:

I already tried the keyboard, I knew this system a long time ago, coincidentally with win98, when I studied Japanese for a while. Here I made a hack, from the RetroArch overlay keyboard, it works fine, at least the basics. You can type with IME, Hiragana or Katakana you don’t need more for games.

Nerd mode on! :nerd_face:
I’m going to install it and have fun!

1 Like

Yes. I liked FS5 back then. But when FS6 (FS95) came along, I was less bothered because of the software on Windows.

When I installed FS5, I couldn’t install it when I was on DOS/V. And when I read the Japanese manual that came with FS5, it said to switch to DOS mode by typing US or CEHV US, and when I actually typed US, it switched from DOS/V to DOS and I was able to install it successfully. But everything was in English, and I was playing with difficulty.

I don’t think “The Legend of Kyrandia Book Three” was in the PC-98 version. The previous “The Legend of Kyrandia” had a PC-98 version.

At that time, DOS/V had arrived in Japan and PC games were in chaos.

My favorite games were “Shizuku” and “Kizuato” by Leaf, which were PC-98 versions, and the third one was “ToHeart”, which was a Windows 95 version. I was shocked, but by putting Windows on that PC-98 I could play it, but it did not feel very good.

But after a while "ToHeart” came out on PS1 and I preferred to play the PS1 version. Leaf changed its name to AQUAPLUS, and then came “ToHeart2” and “Utawarerumono”.

Other games included “L no Kisetsu”, “Missing Blue”, and “L no Kisetsu 2” by Tonkin House, which went bankrupt. Or, I don’t remember the name of the company, but there are games by “Green Green” and so on.

So I preferred to play the “non-adult” Consumer version rather than the “adult” version.

Well, in the case of Emulator, I basically have very few chances to play with DOS/V, and the same goes for Windows 95.

I play PC-8001/8801/9801/9821, Sharp X1/X68000, FM TWONS, and MSX/MSX2/MSX2+/MSXTurboR. Other than that, play on Console.

But in real time, I used to play “Let’s go on the A train series”, “Age of Empires series”, and “SimCity Series” on DOS/V+Windows.

Come to think of it, “SimCity” on FM TOWNS has its own arrangement, switching between the past (primitive), present, and future (science fiction) as time passes. It is worth a look. The way to install it is very troublesome, though. lol

1 Like

So, if Japanese games run fine, and if DOS is in English, there is no need to change it with the CHEV command, it should work, logically. :face_with_monocle:

What I mean, is that those games are not on PC-98, there are Japanese DOS game titles that are only available on DOS/V.

And with Windows 3.1 also, but I believe that in the West, the real chaos was achieved by w95, with the insertion of DirectX, its experiments with technologies that did not exist and the famous original “dosbox mode” of Windows 95, it was a chaos, that’s why I do not recommend it over w98.

I’m writing down all these games, to try later, maybe it will be the first visual novel I play.

But you won’t have any problems, if you ever feel like playing a DOS/w9x exclusive, you can run it without any problems.

Unlike you, for me DOS and Windows are vital. I am a human { MegaDrive » Arcade~IBM-PC }
I know hardly any non-compatible PC or microcomputer. But the Commodore makes me fall in love every time I see it, I don’t know, it’s its design.

“Planes, trains and imperial wars”. Are you Japanese? LOL
I like simulators too, but car simulators, and I was a very, extremely big fan of EOA. And it was the second game I installed PURE. A gem. :ok_hand:t2: The first Myst and the third Moto Race, with this you get my psychotic profile. :grimacing:

I never liked SimCity, now I know it’s very good, I really let myself be influenced by the first impression and as at that time there was so much and so varied, I didn’t care. But I’ll take a look at it later, every game that is mentioned to me in this forum, I end up trying it.

Look, Japan has some very good games, which are lost in oblivion because they are not big franchises. Tower / The Tower (SimTower) is a building construction and management game. Very good and in japanese it has many addons like godzilla one. They also have the giant tortoise, which I can never remember the name of. :scream:

c650709664.1 FXoSNJtVUAIVWO4

1 Like

I don’t know what it was because I don’t own a FS5 FD/CD anymore, but I remember that it used decompression software for DOS, and when the cursor was always on, no matter how many commands I typed, it said “wrong command”, and when I read the manual and typed US, the cursor switched to blinking. When I read the manual and typed “US”, the cursor switched to blinking, and when I entered the command at that time, it succeeded.

It is certain that the commands accepted by DOS/V and DOS are different. Or, even if the command can be accepted, something is being rejected. Is this a problem between 2-byte characters and 1-byte characters?

I remember that Japanese games on DOS/V were not so popular in Japan. What was popular was Windows 95-only games that worked on DOS/V, PC-98, X68000, and FM TWONS.

With a few exceptions, the number of simulators increased rapidly as DOS/V arrived in Japan.

By some, I mean Japanese simulators like ARTDINK and KOEI, but SimCity was already available on PC-98. SimCity in Japan is probably best known for SFC/SNES.

When DOS/V did not exist yet and the era was like PC-98 and MSX, there were not so many simulators.

When DOS/V or Windows 95 appeared, the culture of simulators increased dramatically in Japan, and more and more Japanese people started playing multiplayer games over a LAN.

I also played Combat Flight Simulator among others.

I’m pretty sure these are collectively called Western games in Japan.

What is this? Gojira? Like there was one or not?

The Tower is also available on SS and PS1. And 3DO. But I never did it.

I am not sure. Because I was still a kid, there were many computers, PC-98, PC-386, FM TWONS, and IBM Aptiva, but not much software. I just couldn’t afford to buy freely because I was a kid…

Or maybe because I was a kid, I didn’t want the hassle, so I limited myself to just PC-98/PC-386/FM TWONS/MSX that I could boot easily… or I was more likely to play on FC/NES.

1 Like

Yes, that’s for sure, but the games in PURE are loaded from the interface itself, you don’t need to manipulate the OS, the question is to try, if you get a copy load it in the core.

I thought “SimGames” type games were a Japanese invention. Simple logic, if the original cover of the first game has “Gozilla” on it, then it’s Japanese.

I played a lot of Combat Flight Simulator, but the only games I remember playing intensely on LAN was EOA and Counter Strike.

Yes, simulation games had their boom with Windows 95, and the realistic games are very inclined to the western USA, but this genre has many sub-genres, the train emulation games are very typical of Japan.
DOS games have the resolution 320x200, 640x400 expanded, when ported to w95 it does not adjust well to 640x480 and the letters look blurry, it is a common problem. In w98 it doesn’t happen, keep this in mind if you see the letters blurred.

Do you know how hard it is to get information on Japanese games? If the famous classics there is very little information, of the non-famous ones almost nothing, then you get things like this…

Gamera III: Revenge Of Iris / Godzilla - Japanese Big Box Edition PC
Region Code NTSC-J (Japan) / Platform PC / Genre War / Sub-Genre Boxing / Publisher Tower II, Video Game Series Resident Evil.
I think the times are still a little crazy.
:flushed:

It’s not Godzilla ~ ゴジラ , it’s Gamera ~ ガメラ .
The game has many plugins and addon (that do not haveyoot tower), I think some of them are not official, the community is very active.

Being a child, one is very limited, also that at that time the diffusion was not like now and the internet was quite limited or did not exist. That’s the wonderful thing about emulation, is like a second chance to live that era.

1 Like

hey guys I still need a little bit of help, I took a pause trying to install windows 98 because I was told I should read the documentation first and working while going to school kind of put this project on hold for a while. I’m stuck at this point.

The video guide I have been watching says to press 1 and [ENTER] but nothing happens. I have been reading the documentation and it looks like how to install retroarch which I don’t have a problem with, I need help installing windows 98 not retroarch. I’m also looking at the github guide but it seems to be about installing a game, I’m not there yet as I’m still trying to get windows 98 set up. Also in my RetroArch-Win64\system folder I got lots of these. I remember being told that would happen and before I start deleting unnecessary files I wanted to make sure nothing bad would happen. I only need one disc image correct? And since I haven’t gotten a functioning windows 98 emulated yet none of those disc images work so I should just delete them all and stick with the one I will make but haven’t yet correct?

1 Like

It is always good to read the documentation, even if you don’t understand everything the first time, it gives you an overview.

Congratulations, the effort is worth it.

1, is already selected. Just press ENTER.
You need to activate “Game Focus on”, by pressing the Scroll Lock key (ScLk, Scr Lk or Slk) above Home key.

This option disables the RetroArch shortcuts and activates the original system keys. You will need it a lot to install or play some games in PURE.
If you use a gamepad, you can press L3, and it appears on the screen.

It’s that, RetroArch doesn’t support Windows officially, it’s that even Microsoft doesn’t support w98. But still, if we can help, and the guide is a ‘necessary evil’ because there is a lot of confusing information on the internet…

Better wait a little bit and I’ll make you some screenshots of the installation, actually it’s very easy, it would be like this: “next, next, next, next, accept, next, accept, done” (it’s a joke, but I’m serious).

Those *.img files are obviously “disk images” of installations you have done or tried. If you start PURE and select [ Run Installed Operating System ], you can see all of those.

I’m going to summarize the steps, I’m a bit limited of time, the complete guide is coming soon.

The installation is automated, you don’t have to change/configure parameters, that’s an advantage of PURE, for having standardized hardware.

• Load the Windows image with PURE, select the option [ Boot and Install New Operating System ] and select the 512 MB disk.

• The first Windows installation screen appears. Activate Game Focus with the Scroll Lock key and select Boot from CD-ROM.

• Press ENTER to select Start Windows…

• From here the installation continues, you don’t have to change anything, just accept and continue.

• At the end of the process it restarts by itself and the “User Information” screen appears. Just enter the name, not the company.
    Windows 98 Second Edition-231120-181303

• Continue, keep entering the “Windows Product Key”, finish this step and start the hardware part, fully automated.

• You will get to the “Date/Time” window, change it if you want, this does not affect.

• And then the “Enter Windows Password” window, here you have to be careful, do not enter the password, just press the OK button.
    Windows 98 Second Edition-231120-190215

• And that’s it.
    Windows 98 Second Edition-231120-190528

At this point I recommend you to close windows and back up the image in system, you can compress in 7z, which weighs almost nothing. Important: Do not close the core, with windows running.

The DirectX installs automatically and the voodoo driver… I think I’m going to have to take some screenshots, because what I see on the internet is giving me an ulcer.

I have heard that Godzilla’s proposal was rejected. Instead, it became a tornado. However, the yellow, red, and other surrounding frames are a sign that it was made in Japan. Well, there is no substitute for the fact that it is a port, but when it comes to the porting process, it is certain that Japanese manufacturers are involved, such as changing the language to Japanese.

As far as I can ascertain, SimCity made in Japan is PC-98, X68000, FM TOWNS, and SFC.

MSX seems to be foreign, not Japanese.

By the way…I am having difficulty with this game dump. lol It is a 4-disc game, but the second disc has mold on the recording surface? It seems that there is a wrinkle on the recording surface of the second disc, and it does not work with Redump’s MPF. lol

I can dump with RetroArch or CDManipulator, but there is probably noise in the Track section and the whole noise is probably imaged…

1 Like

OK, I have windows 98 set up in retroarch, thank you guys. I was also recommended to install voodoo so I found a video called “[PC/ROG Ally] How To Install Windows 95/98/ME In Retroarch DOSBox Pure” by “Archades Games” in YouTube that walked me through it. The recommended site for Voodoo didn’t work with their video so I had to use the video’s recommended site for that software (the video does contain links, I hope just writing the title and author doesn’t get this post deleted). I am not sure how to install the directx software however. Also do I need to close content everytime I use windows 98 or can I just hit [esc] key once the computer is shut down in the emulator? I think I hit [esc] when it told me it was safe to shut down the computer but it still says I shut it down the wrong way. The video showed me I need to close content from the menu.

There are many elements, it is a question of semantics.

Primary colors + Plasticine = Stop-motion animation.

Giant monster + skyscrapers = Ultraman ~ ウルルトラシリーズ.
And if that monster looks a lot like Godzilla ~ ゴジラ, the situation is more dramatic.

TV+Radio. Technology? = Sony, Aiwa, etc.
This video explains it better.

If placed together; animation + giant monsters + skyscrapers + technology = Japan.

The difference in language makes the cultural barrier very wide and in the west the references we have from you are consumer products.

That game has several covers, something normal at the time. Tornado was the second release, first in Japan.
A curiosity. The first one in USA has Godzilla, the second one in Japan has a tornado, a common element in USA.

OMG! That packaging looks spectacular! :scream:

If you have mildew, it might work. If you have wrinkles…

I don’t know how redump works, I’ll check later.

But, is it an audio/video track? take the retroarch rip and mount it as a normal disc, copy the video or extract the tracks to normal mp3, that tells you if it’s with noise.

You won’t get a perfect copy, but you may be able to use it without any problems. I can’t get it on the web, I’ll look for it later.

This is one of the advantages of making “backups” with redump for historical “preservation”.

1 Like

Yes, I know it. You don’t need to add hardware, in that video there are many things that are not totally correct. I already answered you about closing windows and the driver voodoo.

There are things that are obvious, keep in mind that the difference between being ignorant and being an idiot is very small.

I warned you. Don’t insist with the piracy issue. From here you are on your own.

I didn’t know that! It was a great learning experience.

I was able to Dump the first, third, and fourth with ReDump’s MPF, and the second with Error Ignore’s CDManipulator.

All four worked fine on WinME.

I’m not sure why WinME is better than 98SE as a stand-alone application, but I don’t expect any updates. I know there is a way to manually install it, but it is very cumbersome, so I decided to go with WinME.

As a side note, this game (which is adult and boy’s love)

This is still available for purchase. However, it is a digital version, not a packaged version, and inexplicably requires activation each time you play it.

I didn’t like that, so I made the decision to run the early NT-incompatible version on a RetroArch with a 9x OS. :rofl:

1 Like

Redump’s MPF is a very strict checking tool that dumps many times and verifies that all hashes are identical. (Furthermore I am a member of Redump)

No matter how much I tried the second one, the hash values didn’t match, which would have caused the BGM to go funny since the problem is on Track01’s end. However, I could do a HDD install, so I decided it wasn’t a problem.

1 Like

Is it Win98FE or Win98SP1? This was the OS that caused the inconvenience of shutting down too fast and not being able to turn off the power.

If it is Win98SE, don’t forget to disable “fast shutdown”, and if it is RetroArch, you can safely close it with the ESC key at the “Ready to turn off computer” screen in Japanese.

As for DirectX, you will have to manually search for it using Google. I’m sure there is a site where someone has put it all together.

It may be because it is WinME that the ESC key from shutdown works well on my end.

1 Like

In Redump the game is on PS2 but not on PC, it would be good if you post the results on PC, and maybe in the forum they can help you to perfectly rip the second one ( have a copy in archive.org), it would be very convenient for “preservation”. :innocent:

I did not understand very well.
WinMe is a more up to date system, codecs, drivers and DirectX.
Win98SE is stock, you have to install the voodoo driver, DirectX and it is highly recommended to update the codecs, I recommend K-Lite Codec Pack v3.45, the latest version compatible with Win98.

Likewise, in WinMe it is also recommended to update drivers, codes and DirectX.

This is something inexplicable, if you have it and it is a “collector’s” version. Why do you have to buy it again? Isn’t it supposed to be a collector’s item? :man_shrugging:
And then, the discs damage themselves, then it will be box collection.

This may serve as a reference for you to understand the western vision.
Historically, animation has been seen as a product mainly for children. In Japan, on the other hand, it is general and is part of the culture. This is why it has been difficult to assimilate the contents with deep or adult plot.

I had already seen that the game is yaoi genre. Illustration, adult plot, gay themes, in the 90s/2000s, it was impossible. They don’t sell, that’s why they are exclusive in Japan, they don’t translate them.

1 Like