Need help, Retroarch 1.0.0.1 crashes when tapping frontend

I can’t get into frontend settings on retroarch it keeps crashing as soon as I tap frontend, I’m on iOS 8.3. Everything else works fine. It’s just the frontend test crashes retroarch. Any help as to why?

That version is super-old. You should upgrade.

Go to http://buildbot.libretro.com and get a nightly and overwrite your existing installation with it. I would normally suggest making a backup of your current installation, but if it’s totally b0rk3d, I don’t suppose there’s any point.

Once I download the nightly build to my computer, how to I install it onto my iPad? What programs do I use to do that? Do you have any links to these programs? And thanks for the reply.

I think people are using either ssh or iFile…? There are some caveats, though. Saving settings doesn’t seem to work (hopefully to be corrected soon) so you have to edit config files with a text editor and btstack is not working at the moment, maybe…? So, you should probably wait a few days before giving it a shot.

just make a file called frontend.cfg and set these options in it (change if you want)

ios_tv_mode = “false” ios_btmode = “btstack” ios_allow_portrait = “true” ios_allow_portrait_upside_down = “true” ios_allow_landscape_left = “true” ios_allow_landscape_right = “true”

save and put it in the .RetroArch folder that’s hidden inside /private/var/mobile/Documents

(assuming you want btstack)

It’s really fairly simple.

Download a stable build from cydia. Big boss still has an old one up.

Download the nightly from the buildbot. Unrar to your desktop. http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/ios/

Go into cydia download openssh.

Download winscp on your windows computer. http://m.download.cnet.com/WinScp/30…-10400769.html

Go into settings click on wifi and there you will see your ip for your phone. Enter that into winscp User will be “root” Password will be “alpine” Hit connect answer yes to any popups.

Now you will see your root file structure. Navigate to var/stash/_1e8ffy(yours will be different it changes, but it’s in one of these folders)/applications/retroarch.app

On the right pane of winscp, on the left side in your computer. So find that folder you downloaded on the buildbot and drag its contents into the retroarch folder on your phone overwriting anything.

Once finished go into cydia. Download any random tweak and respring the iPhone and go to your app.

You will see the app icon has changed. Run the app. You will see a switch text in the top right side. Push it.

This will put you on a new gui that works.

Now load your games where ever you like on your phone with winscp. Put your bios in the .retroarch folder.

Which is var/mobile/documents/.retroarch (sometimes it’s a hidden folder just unhide it)

This is also where your savestates and configure files go.

Now also in var/mobile/documents

You can have an info folder a shaders folder and overlays folder. Where you can place core info files so instead of pcsxrearmed it actually says playstation. Or instead of muphen64plus it says Nintendo 64.

The shaders are obviously shaders you can cycle through if you want to change how it looks.

And overlays are for your controllers.

That’s pretty much it.

I cant drag the contents of the new folder. What do you mean on the right pane on the left side of the computer?

On winscp there is a left side which is your computer and a right side which is your phone you can drag and drop files accordingly.

So do I put the contents of the buildbot version of retroarch on the right side where my iPad is or do I find the file on the left pane and put the contents there? I still can’t drag and drop in winscp so how do I overwrite the contents of the retroarch folder if I can’t drag the files over?

This didn’t work for me at first. Then I noticed that the “f” in “frontend.cfg” file I created was capital, and all the other .cfg files were lowercase… So I changed the frontend.cfg to all lowercase letters and viola!.. And of course don’t forget to uninstall “controllersforall”… Now all buttons map, including start, select, R3 and L3! Thanks derailius!

does the newest BTStack even work?