Need help unusual d-pad down button function

I just put together a raspberry pi emulation system using the Buffalo SNES controller.

For some reason, the down dpad has to problems:

1. It does not allow continuous input (only in game, in menus it scrolls when held), so for example in Zelda the character will go right left or up when i press dpad but for down, i have to continuously tap.
  2. The hotkey is mapped to down instead of select, which makes playing any game where down is pressed in conjunction with another button because it becomes an undesirable hotkey press.

I have tried remapping within each game and within the emulator via retroarch. I have watched videos and read forums but nothing seems to address the issue that I am having.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jake

The hotkey thing is likely the cause of the down-tap issue, as well. I don’t see anything about the hotkey enabler being hard-mapped in the udev autoconfig profile, so I’m assuming that’s something you’ve mapped later…?

If you can’t get it working with autoconfiguration, you can disable that altogether in the input settings and just hard-map your controller.

I am pretty certain it was mapped that way from the start.

I had no ability to enter the in-game retroarch config screen. I got desperate and started pressing buttons bc [select+Hotkey button] do anything and I stumbled upon this [dpad down+hotkey button] and was satisfied until I realized it was impossible to play any game. After reading many posts and videos (I’m anewbie at this) I figured out the remapping.

However, now BOTH select and dpad down are enabled, so either works with a hotkey. Unfortunately, I am traveling abroad and do not have access to my mini usb reader (i would probably reformat and reboot) or a usb keyboard (although I am unfamiliar with the programing at this point anyway).

I was hoping for a solution with just the retropie and Buffalo controller. I’ll give the auto-config/hard map thing a try but I believe I did that already. Are you referring to the screen where you hit remap and the software prompts you to press the corresponding button on the pad and you end up with select=6 or down=+1 etc?

Thanks for quick response!

Btw, both down and select work but on the config screen only select appears to be mapped to enable hotkey