Need help with 2 player

I am using emulation station and retroarch together. I start the rom perfectly fine and it will play fine if it is only one player but, when I try to use the second controller it will not work. I am using a xbox 360(wired) and a ps3 controller that I used motion joy to emulate a 360 controller as well. It does recognize both controllers and will let me change there inputs with no problem but when it comes to navigating the menu or working within the game unfortunately the only one that works is the controller that is in the player#1 slot.

I’m having a very similar problem.

The only controller that is recognized during gameplay is the last controller where inputs were assigned. This controller always acts as the p1 controller. During configuration, both controllers are recognized but it’s like as soon as I assign an input to a controller, it is immediately recognized as p1 and the other controller won’t function during gameplay.

I’ve spent hours on this, swapping settings back and forth and changing the values in the config file. Looking at the config file, it seems like certain values are being automatically overwritten by RA every time it launches/quits.

edit: I am also using emulationstation, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

My suggestion for you two is to switch to the Xinput Wrapper. Once you install it, it just works. You’ll need to uninstall MotioninJoy completely first, otherwise the device drivers won’t be properly installed.

Unless there’s a specific reason for which you need to use MotioninJoy, it’s best to do that. I don’t have issues with using a PS3 controller in RetroArch when using the wrapper.

[QUOTE=bleakassassin;18109]My suggestion for you two is to switch to the Xinput Wrapper. Once you install it, it just works. You’ll need to uninstall MotioninJoy completely first, otherwise the device drivers won’t be properly installed.

Unless there’s a specific reason for which you need to use MotioninJoy, it’s best to do that. I don’t have issues with using a PS3 controller in RetroArch when using the wrapper.[/QUOTE]

This won’t work for me; I’m using SNES controllers connected via USB using the RetroUSB Retroport. No drivers are used.

The experience I’m having, along with the reports from others, suggests a possible bug in the source code.

[QUOTE=Nesguy;18112]This won’t work for me; I’m using SNES controllers connected via USB using the RetroUSB Retroport. No drivers are used.

The experience I’m having, along with the reports from others, suggests a possible bug in the source code.[/QUOTE] Sorry, when I saw your post I thought you said “PS1” controller, not “P1”. That was a misreading on my part.

Those controllers should be recognized as generic DirectInput devices. Have you tried both older and newer builds of RetroArch to see if they work fine there? More specifically, the really old stable build and the most recent nightly? What happens when you try to use the second controller during gameplay? Does it do player 1 actions, or does it not function at all?

P.S.: You mentioned this in another thread, but I think everyone had initial login issues. I think the forum upgrade changed everyone’s passwords to something random. If you want your old account to work, just reset the password on it and change it back to what you normally use.

[QUOTE=bleakassassin;18115]Sorry, when I saw your post I thought you said “PS1” controller, not “P1”. That was a misreading on my part.

Those controllers should be recognized as generic DirectInput devices. Have you tried both older and newer builds of RetroArch to see if they work fine there? More specifically, the really old stable build and the most recent nightly? What happens when you try to use the second controller during gameplay? Does it do player 1 actions, or does it not function at all?

P.S.: You mentioned this in another thread, but I think everyone had initial login issues. I think the forum upgrade changed everyone’s passwords to something random. If you want your old account to work, just reset the password on it and change it back to what you normally use.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that I can only ever get one controller to respond during gameplay, and it always controls player 1. No matter how I alter the settings through the GUI or directly editing the config, the most I can ever accomplish is to switch which controller is controlling player 1. Player 2 never responds. I noticed that in the config, input_device_p2 is always reset to 0 no matter what I do.

Both controllers show up as “SNES” under “device” and “Joypad” under "device type. I have made sure multiple times that p1 is assigned to the first “SNES” and p2 is assigned to the second “SNES” since they show up as the same name. I’ve tried swapping these back and forth and swapping the other settings in various combinations.

I’m using the latest stable build of RA - 1.0.0.2 Windows 64. Have not tried the nightly builds.

Any ideas…?

Seriously, can someone just tell me the exact values I need to enter in the config file for

input_device_p1 = “0” input_player1_joypad_index = “0” input_libretro_device_p1 = “1” input_player1_analog_dpad_mode = “0” input_device_p2 = “0” input_player2_joypad_index = “1” input_libretro_device_p2 = “1” input_player2_analog_dpad_mode = “0”

I’m just trying to get two identical controllers to work. This should be easy, right? I’m not the only one experiencing this issue, either.

As I mentioned earlier, “input_device_p2” is reset to 0 no matter what I do; not sure if that’s the cause of the problem or what’s causing it.

If someone could just explain this to me like they would to a small child, I would really appreciate it. Really want to get this working for when I have friends come over.

I found this post and it seemed relevant:

https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/issues/158

Unfortunately, I couldn’t really understand the solution. If someone could explain how to do this in plain English to a non-developer, that would be great. I know I’m not the only one looking for a fix for this.

I don’t have your controllers, but for me everything works with xinput and up to 4 players (1 wireless xbox 360 controller, 1 wired xbox 360 controller, a DS3 and a DS4) You won’t find much help with 1.0.0.2, that’s ancient and noone is really gonna roll back

[QUOTE=Radius;18245]I don’t have your controllers, but for me everything works with xinput and up to 4 players (1 wireless xbox 360 controller, 1 wired xbox 360 controller, a DS3 and a DS4) You won’t find much help with 1.0.0.2, that’s ancient and noone is really gonna roll back[/QUOTE]

I can’t even get the nightly builds to run on my machine. It runs at 30fps and then freezes.

The problem is that both controllers are being read to the p1 slot , so no matter how they are configured, one controller controls p1 and the other doesn’t work.

Looks like my only options are to buy a better computer so I can run the latest build or else learn coding so I can figure out the solution that I posted from the petrock forum.

I don’t think the petrock solution actually applies. I was going through the repos and it doesn’t seem to be an issue anymore, except in that pocketsnes core, which I don’t think anyone actually uses anymore. I guess it should probably be fixed there, anyway… Suppose I’ll send a PR.

You can try downloading a nightly build of the core and putting it with the older 1.0.0.2 release. It should still function, I think, you just won’t have access to some of the newer features.

[QUOTE=hunterk;18250]I don’t think the petrock solution actually applies. I was going through the repos and it doesn’t seem to be an issue anymore, except in that pocketsnes core, which I don’t think anyone actually uses anymore. I guess it should probably be fixed there, anyway… Suppose I’ll send a PR.

You can try downloading a nightly build of the core and putting it with the older 1.0.0.2 release. It should still function, I think, you just won’t have access to some of the newer features.[/QUOTE]

To clarify: I’m using Windows 7 on a dual core intel computer.

I just discovered something significant: the default core being used by EmulationStation was “SNES9X”

By switching cores to “SNES9X NEXT” the problem seems to have disappeared. Both controllers function normally now.

So, this points to an issue with the core “SNES9X.” Seems like a small bug somewhere. Pocketsnes is based on SNES9X, right?

So glad to have gotten this working! :smiley: