Need Help With Manual Core Install for iOS 10

Hi all! VERY new user here (like 2 days), and I’ve got a question about manually adding cores. Desmume crashes every time I try to load a ROM so I decided to try to switch to MelonDS, and despite dropping the firmware and BIOS files into the system folder and selecting MelonDS in the Online Updater, the core won’t show up in my list. If someone has seen this and knows how to solve this: AMAZING!

If not, my other option is manually dropping the core into RetroArch. I currently have the core file saved on my computer (I think! It’s called melonds_libretro_ios.dylib and I downloaded it from the list of updated cores), but I can’t figure out where to put it. I was told there would be a “Core” folder in the RetroArch folder, but there isn’t one, and having explored every single folder available to me, I just can’t find it. Is it as simple as making my own core folder and dropping it in there?

Thanks in advance!

Just use nds4ios app is much much better than Desmume core. nds4ios runs in full speed and has all features to play nds games. If you insist to play Nds games on Retroarch, definitely I can help you with that.

1 Like

Ha, I mean nds4ios is probably the best route – I was just super confused by the absence of a “Cores” folder. Does MelonDS not work very well either?

Thanks though! I’ll spare you the extra work!

MelonDS doesn’t work for me on ios but it works on OSX. Regarding Cores folder, it’s available in var/mobile/Documents/RetroArch directory if your device is jailbroken but if it’s not then it’s unaccessible directory. Cores will be stored inside Retroarch.app/modules folder.

1 Like

Aha! That solves that then – my device is not jailbroken, so I’m likely SOL if even if it were to work on iOS! Thanks for the advice!

Non jailbroken device. Just un pack the ipa file and look inside the retroarch.app file and place cores on modules folder then repack the ipa file

I can unpack the ipa. Can you advise how to re-sign a core with my dev certificate? Then I copy this core to the module folder and repack ipa

Here’s what you need to do. Once the core is inside, packed the app and convert it again to ipa and then just sing it with impactor.

If you need something visual, tell me, i can try to make a gif.

Ok done that and it worked to install on my iPhone 7 plus. However now whenever I launch any content (ROMS) with any core’s it just exits back to the home screen. What version of RetroArch are you running, and did you compile it yourself? I downloaded 1.6.7 IPA, and unpacked it, put in the cores, and resigned by using impactor. Do I need to compile RetroArch myself?

Make sure the cores load correctly. Well, i donwloaded the ipa from the buildbot. Or check if the rom is fine and not damaged.

If you are using cydia impactor then you used the wrong iOS 8 and lower cores.

Here is ios 9 Cores http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/apple/ios9/latest/

And here full Retroarch 1.6.7 + cores. Use cydia impactor to install it.