NeoGeo Roms

Guys, I’ve been reading a lot about how to play NeoGeo AES Roms and I give up, what the hell is the neogeo.zip parent Rom and where can I find it?. I have to copy the Roms on the folder where that file is located, right?

Just search on the web about ‘neogeo bios pack’ or similar, get it, ensure it contains some .rom/.bin files, rename the zip as ‘neogeo.zip’ and place it at the same folder along with your zipped games. Don’t place it in the RetroArch\System folder…

It may not appear as a playlist, but you wil be able to load a core then a content with no problem (I’m using MAME for this, my other cores simply don’t work).

I would like to recommend the approach that works for me.

1. Track down a copy of the MAME 2003 Reference Set (MAME 0.78 ROMs) Please note that the correct version of the MAME ROMs (0.78 in this case) is essential. This particular set of ROMs is easy to find and work with. It will contain the right version of neogeo.zip and most or all of the NeoGeo AES games.

2. From this set of Non-Merged MAME 0.78 ROMs, copy the file “neogeo.zip” to a folder called “MAME” in your RetroArch installation.

3. Copy the MAME .zip files from the reference set for any/all of the NeoGeo games that you are trying to play to the MAME folder in your RetroArch installation.

4. From within RetroArch, download the MAME 2003 core. You should now be able to use RetroArch to play the NeoGeo games by using “Load Content” with the NeoGeo games that you copied to your RetroArch ROMs folder in step 3.

(Optional) 5. Use a playlist generator such as Retroarch Playlist Buddy to create a nice looking playlist in RetroArch with thumbnail images and the proper titles of your NeoGeo games. If you post in the AHK playlist thread we’ll try to help you with this step.