NES SNES static slow 1/3 speed

I just installed retroarch and have been using it. Occasionally while playing an SNES or NES game it will slow down to 1/3 of it’s speed and the audio will crackle. I have tried several options in the video settings including vsynch on/off, hard gpu synch on/off, threaded video on/off, frame adjustment. Nothing I adjust makes it any better can can make more static or choppiness while playing. Searching the internet and forums has not helped me solve my issue. Does anyone know what causes this problem and if there is a fix for it?

Try launching the retroarch_debug.exe from a command line with --menu --verbose added onto the launch command, like this: retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose and run in a window, keeping an eye on the console window to see if anything happens in the log right before/during the slowdowns.

If not, it’s probably something going on in your PC/OS, most likely power throttling. In this case, make sure your power settings are set to “maximum performance” or whatever.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve opened my command line in Windows and tried that command but it doesn’t locate retroarch_debug.exe. I have opened that file from my retroarch location by clicking on it but it looks the same as my retroarch.exe when I launch it.

Yeah, you have to run the command inside your RetroArch directory. Shift+right-click somewhere in your RetroArch directory and choose 'open command window here…" and then input the command.