Nestopia/bsnes core issues (not loading NES games, no core input options)

Up until recently, my stable Retroarch install allowed me to choose between three cores I had installed to play NES games: bsnes, Nestopia, and FCEumm. However, the interface began to deny me this option one day, immediately loading bsnes whenever I ran a NES game from my collection. Since bsnes didn’t allow me to change core input settings while running NES games, I updated to the 3/12/16 nightly build through the libretro repository to see if I could rectify the issue. After that failed, I deleted all of my cores and reinstalled them through the online updater, with the exception of FCEumm (it should also be noted that I installed “bsnes_mercury_balanced” rather than the vanilla “bsnes” core at this time). After doing this, Retroarch simply exits to desktop whenever I try to load an NES game, without any kind of crash log or error message, even when using the “retroarch_debug” executable.

Some other minor issues I’ve been experiencing are Retroarch not creating a NGPC playlist when scanning a directory with NGPC games in .zip files (despite other rom-based consoles having playlists made in this fashion) and not being able to add individual files to the collection, having to scan the entire directory for a system to update its playlist.

Re: bsnes and NES games, bsnes can’t load NES games. bnes (notice the missing ‘s’) can, but it’s not worth using. The mainline bnes in higan is decent but our libretroized version is based on a very old version that isn’t better than the other NES cores in any way. Stick with Nestopia and/or FCEUmm.