Netplay cannot figure it out

Hi everyone,

i am really at a loss here how to get netplay running over the internet.

i can get it to work over LAN, between windows machines and windows/android. but when i try it with public ip it always says “failed to initialize”

we (both my end and the other)

tried upnp port forwarding use the relay server Both our firewalls are allowing retroarch different cores (snes9x, picodrive, nestopia)

really triple checked everything, also we both tried to host and join and always the same thing.

Everytime we get the failed to initialize. the strange thing is that is does say we have compatible content just before (we use the same core build/rom etc) so it does seem it connects for just a short while.

anyone got an idea what the problem might be?

thx

I passed this along to Gregor, who implemented the netplay system, and this was his reply:

“It’s possible his LAN simply doesn’t support UPnP, so that doesn’t work, and it looks like he was trying to connect manually, for which the relay server doesn’t work (need to use the lobby system)”

So, when you go to the lobbies, can either of you view and join games with other people?

i tried manual connect and as well the lobby system. all give me the same problem.

I can see games and and also when the other computer or mine acts as host it pops up in the room list. just when we try to connect it says that it’s compatable but still failed to initialize

double checked my router and upnp is enabled. also other devices like my ps4 work with upnp so I think my router does support this.

On Lan all is working fine. I will try the relay server through the lobby this week.

thx for the support. I really want get this to work over internet.

you can use Port Forward Network Utilities https://portforward.com/software/download-instructions/network-utilities/ they have free limited trial, it have a port checker in wich you and your friend could test if your ports are really open.

I had the same problem and resulted that i need to open ports my firewall (comodo) in a specific way, while was supposed to make a rule to allow retroarch pass through the firewall it was never able to connect, it wasnt enogh just to add a rule to retroarch in the firewall and open the port in the router/modem.

what port require open require upnp enable

write port numbers what is need here to this threat , me not internet function too

Could you also try Android to Android via internet just to ensure it’s no Windows firewall, permission, etc. related issue?

You need TCP 55435.

Check these things with your friend and ask him to screenshot his settings and core version to compare them with yours. Check these things on both devices:

• Retroarch should has same version for example 1.6.3
  • both cores must have same build number Snes9x 1.5.4.1 [3fb8977].
  • go to user use insert a username
  • Public Announce Netplay enabled
  • User Relay Server enable
  • netplay Check Frames 30
  • input Latency Frames both sides should have same number.
  • and the rest should be to default settings.
  • make sure ports are forwarded: 55435. google how to port forwarding (name of your router).

Before you ask your friend to do these steps. Test it with your android or ios phone using your data connection. I’m able to connect to my iPhone 7+ using 4g data connection to iMac. iMac is the host and port is forwarded.