Netplay hosting freezes/crashes Retroarch across multiple devices

Am I missing a step? I’ve followed the steps at the following link: https://wiki.libretro.com/index.php?title=Netplay

Trying netplay on OSX between two Macbook Pros over a LAN and hosting it seems to just freeze, while the client just says “Failed to initialize netplay.”

I tried the same thing on Android and it crashes Retroarch straight back to the launcher. I’ve heard that it’s necessary to set a nickname under User, so I did that. No change on either Android or OSX.

To make sure, here are my steps for hosting:

Settings tab > Network

Netplay enable: On

Swap Netplay Input: Off

IP address: Blank

Netplay Client Enable: Off

Spectator Enable: Off

Port: 55435

Then I load a core, and then I load a game.

In OSX, Retroarch turns white and just freezes with no additional messages. Any attempt to connect from a different client, like on OSX or Android, says “Failed to initialize netplay”

I can’t access any menus or anything on the host PC once this happens because the program is entirely frozen, pinwheel mouse shows up.

Are there other settings I’m missing? What’s going on?

The host behavior is normal in that it essentially freezes waiting for clients to connect. It’s obviously not ideal that nothing can connect :stuck_out_tongue:

If you can hold off for a little while longer, GregorR made some really amazing improvements to netplay to make it more robust and easier to setup and these updates will be included in the 1.4 release. The changes are not backward compatible, though (AFAIK), so all clients will need to update, as well.

Oh yeah, I was thinking all this would probably be solved with the update, but I imagine that different clients will update at different times. I made a thread about Lakka netplay specifically and found out about it. I’m glad it’s happening, I just wish I could play online now. I can just keep trying while waiting for it to come out.