Netplay in-game save sync problem

I have discovered that when using netplay, the game will sync the client’s srm file to the server; then, if you save in-game, the server’s srm file will be updated but not the client’s. This causes the newer save to get overwritten by the older one when the two connect again. I have started the game separately between netplay sessions to confirm the state of each srm file. What am I doing wrong that’s causing this?

I am testing with two Windows 10 computers on a LAN using both bsnes-mercury Performance and Snes9x Next. I have tried switching which computer is the server with identical results. The only settings I have changed from the latest stable release defaults are the ones in the wiki for setting up netplay.

Thanks!

I don’t assume you’re doing anything wrong, netplay is just weird and this is unintended behavior. I assume it’s always behaved this way and nobody ever noticed.

You can open an issue on RetroArch’s github repo about it but I wouldn’t hold your breath on it getting fixed any time soon. The netplay code is confusing and nobody really feels comfortable messing with it for fear it’ll break entirely.