Netplay on FB Alpha - video RAM error on load

Upon trying to play any Neo Geo game over netplay on the FB Alpha core, it shows “Video RAM Error” then netplay disconnects. Tried increasing delay frames to see if that was the issue but it didn’t help. Everything works fine without netplay. Any ideas?

I believe that’s caused by serialized savestates/rewind, which is a necessity for netplay. So, unless someone tells you different, I would think neogeo netplay isn’t going to work.

So then what cores do work with netplay?

FBA’s CPS1/2/3 all work fine, AFAIK, as do fceumm for NES, snes9x for SNES, I think genplusgx works for Genesis (not 100% on that, though). Mupen technically works for N64 but analogs don’t currently work over netplay, so it’s moot at this point. I’m not sure what the serialization status is on the other cores. MAME and FBA vary from internal driver to internal driver, so they’re sort of a crapshoot.

I contribute to a few other open-source projects, if it’s not too difficult, I’d like to try and work on netplay for both FBA and MAME. It sounds easy at the surface; as I understand it you’re serializing the save state or rather the RAM for all the different emulated chips so that it can be sent back and forth between emulator instances.

Yeah, it depends on the core and, in this case, the individual driver how difficult it is to add it, but yeah, you’re welcome to take a look. Pull requests are always very welcome! If you have any questions, stop by #retroarch and/or #libretro on freenode IRC.

the problem is that FBA savestates are not good enough, even in standalone, palette gets corrupted, etc, also it seems that neogeo doesn’t like saving/loading before the BIOS sequence is over and RetroArch netplay works on boot so I think the only solution would be to do something similar to what GGPO does, load a state on the character selection screen when the game starts but I’m not sure it’s doable with our netplay implementation.

So I just tried netplay on two Android phones using the Snes9x core, gives “Movie playback has started. Cannot start netplay.”

I’m going to ask again, are there any cores that actually work with netplay? I’ve tried on Windows with two laptops and phones, and even between, cant get anything to work. Netplay either disconnects or gives that playback message.

What version are you using, that was fixed recently on android. The message is wrong yes but it works with snes9x. http://blog.andressm.org/retroarch-netplay-on-android/

Been doing everything using stable 1.2.2 from buildbot. Tried your guide and it didn’t work. Server phone stays frozen waiting for connection, client phone gives the movie playback message and loads the game as normal.

Edit: this is with both phones behind the same wifi router.

I just tried the scenarios from my blog post yet again and it works fine on my devices

What core? Snes9x? And are your devices rooted or anything like that? I was wondering if there was a port opening issue when an Android device is a server.

Also, are you using a nightly or 1.2.2? The 10/13 nightly crashes on my phone upon loading a rom.

Thanks for the heads up, fixed