New Guy!

Hey I’m new to the retroarch. i was browsing “http://www.libretro.com/index.php/ecosystem/” and saw some mame cores and upon searching seen there is a mame-wii.dol out there. Is there a place I can get it? Trying to play arcade games that are NOT CPS1/CPS2

No MAME for Wii, unfortunately, but FBA does support a lot of non-CPS1/2 games, like neogeo.

lastly, i was told to update some romsets because some games i play on pc version of FBA work but not on wii. How do I update or whatever to the romsets.

you just have to find them on the internets. Load up the core and check the version down at the bottom of the screen on the in-game RGUI menu. Search for that specific romset (i.e., final burn alpha 0.2.97.28 or whatever). You might not want to commit to very many, though, because you’ll have to update them again when the new v1.1 is released (should be fairly soon).

I haven’t had to change my romsets since 0.9.7 on Wii, will we have to change romsets for CPS1/CPS2/Neo Geo for the next release?!

Dunno. FBA seems more stable/forgiving than MAME in that respect, so maybe not.

Hey wingzero, welcome aboard. If you’re familiar with the MAME charter, you’ll know it’s designed for historical hardware & code preservation and not playing performance. MAME developers are often quoted on saying things like “the fact that a game is playable is a kind of bonus”. Homebrew code performance is a tightrope walk on Wii (and it’s close ancestor GameCube) due to restriction of hardware resources like CPU and RAM in Nintendo’s frugal design. And so MAME on GameCube and Wii has always suffered badly as a result. Even very basic games from the early 80s won’t run smoothly due to the monolithic nature of the MAME executable trying to emulate a lot of systems. There are standalone MAME dols for Wii/GC out there, separate from RetroArch, but let me save you the frustration and advise you just to avoid if you want an enjoyable playing experience. Poor or unplayable FPS is only one let down, controls are in bad shape too. Fortunately we have other arcade emulation projects like Final Burn Alpha, which focuses more on playability and performance for certain arcade system architectures at the expense of reduced overall spread if compared to MAME. There have been huge strides in taking that optimization and going even further with it for FBA on Wii/GC. Most significantly the clever method of forking off some standard architecture cores (Capcom CPS1, CPS1 and SNK NeoGeo) to have reduced memory footprint and other enhancements to optimize for those blocks of standard system boards and squeeze them onto that Ninty box. There’s a discussion on FBA compatability on Wii here that’s worth a read: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1372 Also a topic more focused on GameCube compatibility but still very relevant since I tested many games on both systems.: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2085 The actual Excel spreadsheet mentioned is worth taking a look at if you want to save time finding out if a particular game can run or not on the currently downloadable RetroArch release https://anonfiles.com/file/f4e9c7502c64 … 2a2f07be86 If you gather up all the rom zips listed against a status of ‘Working’ on that sheet, and group/folder them by core, then you’d have pretty good per-core romsets in each your folders, and a good overall romset for FBA in general. I can’t wait to get testing again when a new release comes out! :lol:

thanks for the info guys, any new news in retroarch update 1.1?