New PCSX2 Core

Download the standalone and copy all the files in system/pcsx2

1 Like

Weird. That means itā€™s a pretty recent version so WRC 4 should work. But it doesnā€™t even though it works on the standalone.

Okā€¦ sounds messy. :slight_smile: Does it matter which version or it just needs some core files? I think I have a semi-recent version already.

edit Quick follow upā€¦ it did not work with my semi-recent version, but it did work with the latest nightly build. Thanks for the help and advice.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t get it to run without downloading a nightly. (I previously had the files from the stable.)

1 Like

I would just like to reiterate my earlier statement that this is not a ā€œfinishedā€ version of the core (to my knowledge). Issues are likely. Itā€™s best if you expect it to not work at all, and assume any working games are the exception rather than the rule.

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s actually running like a champ with vulkan. Obviously, if you look at the settings menu, thereā€™s stuff that isnā€™t there yet (deinterlacing, etcā€¦), but wowā€¦ for a not even initially released version, itā€™s looking pretty amazing so far.

1 Like

I just hope this core is not abandoned like a few others. Even though it looks that way. I still hope RA will cover the 6th gen systems properly one day.

2 Likes

Same here I downloaded the nightly and the games run, however when they start I only get a black screen (this is with vulkan) I can still hear the game in the background, when I try glcore the graphics are all broken and all glitchy.

It depends on what you consider abandoned. This core is based on a snapshot from May because they made a bunch of changes upstream after that time that make it impossible for us to do a shallow fork (i.e., to try and stay in lockstep).

With that said, our current plan is to take what we have that works and improve the libretro integration beyond what we would be able to do with a shallow fork, since thatā€™s out of the question at this point anyway.

Some people arenā€™t going to be satisfied by this, so weā€™re still going to have the ā€œjust use standaloneā€/ā€œcore is ancientā€ crowd, but we intend to make it a nice experience for people who are not worried about that (e.g., me).

5 Likes

it really runs well with vulkan at least vice city and tekken 5 ^^

now we need a dolphin core that donĀ“t crash after a random time :slight_smile:

Yes, thatā€™s it!

I also perfectly agree with Hunter: ā€œto make it a nice experience for people who are not worried about shallow forkā€, thatā€™s the most important thing!

This. Though I donā€™t expect itā€™ll ever be as simple as crunching it down to one simple dll file in the cores folder same as many other cores, without needing a separate pcsx2 folder in the system folder :smile:

I managed to make WRC 4 work in the core version. Since itā€™s a little older and the standalone very recently fixed this, the core version needed a patched iso in order to load.

So now it works but i noticed an issue with the core VS the standalone. It has microstutters while the standalone never skips a beat. At least in this game.

I have a VRR monitor and use the freesync/Gsync setting in RA. Usually this makes some cores run smoother than the standalones that donā€™t support VRR. But in this case it seems the opposite takes place. I think the core doesnā€™t run well with VRR so iā€™m getting those hitches. This is a biggie for me so iā€™m gonna stick to the standalone this time.

Does that happen on all games or just that one? In any event, itā€™s something we can probably iron out.

Do you have a link to the patch you needed to apply? Or do you know which upstream commit fixed it?

I have some missing textures and interlacingā€¦ little things like that, but overall it runs super smooth. Is it running ok for you without the VR? What hardware do you have in your PC?

edit Oh sorryā€¦ VRRā€¦ thought you were talking about some kind of VR. Yeah, I have a Gsync monitor and itā€™s still runs without a hitch.

Iā€™ll test some more games to be sure.

This is the patch for the game

1 Like

Ah, so not really fixed by actual emulation changes, just a preexisting per-game hack added to a database. Keeping on top of this side of things is probably where most of the action will be on the ā€œworks perfectly in standaloneā€ front, and should actually be reasonably doable, I think.

1 Like

Later standalone releases have fixed this in the emulator side. You donā€™t really need this hack anymore. The core version is from May and i think the fix came around June, so the core needs the hack.

Yeah, it looks like it still uses the hack/patch, itā€™s just applied automatically through the internal game database.

1 Like

Do updates for this experimental core need to be manually compiled also, or will they be available somewhere?