New problem with vertical games and stretching

Back in April 2022 I set up an installation of Retropie on a RPi 4 and it worked great for months in a test setting as I built my new cabinet. I dismantled my test setup in December to finish building my cabinet, and started using it again a week or two ago. After running an update, suddenly all my vertical games (Centipede, Donkey Kong, Galaga 88, etc.) aren’t displayed properly any more. The horizontal axis is displayed too wide, so the pixels are stretched and the edges of the game field end up behind the bezel art.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between December and now is the move from 1.10.0 of RetroArch to 1.14.0. Is there anything in the new version that could cause these stretched screens? I did a quick scan of existing topics and don’t see anything. I’ve been changing everything I can think of in the config files to no avail.

Thanks.

which core are you using for those games? I believe some of the cores changed how they handle rotation since then.

I realized I should have included that after I hit save. It happens with lr-mame2003 and lr-mame2003-plus.

Check settings > core > allow rotation. If you’ve been manually handling rotation previously, you can set this to OFF to get back to that behavior.