New Shader Loading Bar?

I updated my nightly build for the first time in a little while, and noticed there is a new shader loading bar that is turned on by default. I dug through the settings menu and couldn’t find anything, and actually ended up using Claude to figure out where it was coming from.

It identified this:

video_shader_deferred_loading = "true"

Looking into that setting, it’s actually pretty cool. I like the idea of not having the little ‘freeze’ when I toggle through my presets. Instead loading each pass as it goes. However, I couldn’t find any option to turn off the loading bar, and ended up manually changing the .cfg to “false”, disabling the feature entirely.

Is there any menu option I’m missing to just turn off the bar itself? I was looking through “On-Screen Notifications” and couldn’t find anything. I’d love to take advantage of this feature, but the aesthetic change is too much for me personally.

I very much like seeing only “Shader: RF.slangp”, “Shader: Composite.slangp”, “Shader: S-Video.slangp”, “Shader: LCD.slangp”, etc, etc when I swap mid-game. (Which I do quite a bit honestly haha)

I like the loading bar, it gives us a visual clue on what’s going on rather than freezing the screen until the whole shader is loaded, I also noticed that shaders are loading much faster than before, that’s really nice.

1 Like

Yeah I can totally see value in the loading bar, seeing all the passes come through is cool for presets with like 30+ passes in them. The new loading functionality itself is incredibly smooth now, it’s really great.

I just was hoping for a way to hide only the visual cue of it loading each pass if possible. For my personal setup it’s very jarring when switching - and I switch a lot - so I was hoping for a way to get the best of both worlds.

The smoother loading, but an option to disable the visual loading bar itself.

1 Like