Newbie - Retroarch.exe has stopped working

Hi,

Im new to this, I have just downloaded the 32bit version for windows. Unzipped it. And clicked on retroarch.exe

Unfortunately the window pops up but is just white and says “Retroarch.exe has stopped working”

Is there a stage im missing or something i’m doing wrong?

I’m a newbie so any assistance would be great please as I cant even get it to open at this stage! :frowning:

thank you!

It shouldn’t matter, but have you tried the 64-bit build? Also, can you try launching from a command window with --menu --verbose? It will print any errors to the console.

Hi, I have tried the 64 bit and it says my pc is not compatible with that version. This is probably a silly question, but how do I try launching it from a command window? Thanks

you’re probably missing the redist files. Just download RetroArch_full.7z

This is what I get when I try to run retroarch…

I have tried downloading the RetroArch_full.7z from http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/windows/x86/ and I get the same issue.

Is there any program that i need to install to get RetroArch to work? That I might be missing?

PS - I have DirectX 's installed etc, before that is suggested.

Thank you

yeah, we’re gonna need a log, then. launch from command line with --menu --verbose.

[QUOTE=Danventh;27927]PS - I have DirectX 's installed etc, before that is suggested.

Thank you[/QUOTE] Hey Danventh. Did you get RetroArch to work? I’m having the same issue. I tried numerous of times and the same quote still pops up “RetroArch.exe has stopped working.” I downloaded all the cores, all the RetroArch, updated DirectX…etc. Please help.

Make a text file in the same directory as retroarch.exe with the following line and save it as retroarch.bat, then run that batch file and reproduce the problem.

retroarch.exe -v --menu > output.log 2>&1

This will create an output.log text file with all the retroarch log messages in it. Then, open the newly-created output.log file in any text editor like Notepad and paste the contents on pastebin. Paste the link to your pastebin paste here. This will allow us to see what happened.

[QUOTE=Lex;37213]Make a text file in the same directory as retroarch.exe with the following line and save it as retroarch.bat, then run that batch file and reproduce the problem.

retroarch.exe -v --menu > output.log 2>&1

This will create an output.log text file with all the retroarch log messages in it. Then, open the newly-created output.log file in any text editor like Notepad and paste the contents on pastebin. Paste the link to your pastebin paste here. This will allow us to see what happened.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Lex. It’s done. It’s on pastebin.com.

Where’s the link?

RetroArch [INFO] :: === Build =======================================RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Vendor: GenuineIntel RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Features: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 MMX MMXEXT SSE1 SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 Built: Apr 13 2016 RetroArch [INFO] :: Version: 1.3.3 RetroArch [INFO] :: Git: 928f4e9 RetroArch [INFO] :: ================================================= RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Vendor: GenuineIntel RetroArch [INFO] :: [CPUID]: Features: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 RetroArch [WARN] :: screenshot_directory is not an existing directory, ignoring … RetroArch [INFO] :: Config: loading config from: D:\HyperSpin\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg. RetroArch [INFO] :: Environ SET_PIXEL_FORMAT: RGB565. RetroArch [INFO] :: Version of libretro API: 1 RetroArch [INFO] :: Compiled against API: 1 RetroArch [INFO] :: Set audio input rate to: 29975.00 Hz. RetroArch [INFO] :: Video @ 960x720 RetroArch [INFO] :: Found GL context: wgl RetroArch [INFO] :: Detecting screen resolution 1024x768. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Vendor: Microsoft Corporation, Renderer: GDI Generic. RetroArch [INFO] :: [GL]: Version: 1.1.0.

http://pastebin.com/Sb5GG4rN

Your GPU driver is too basic or you’re trying to run RetroArch over RDP (odd, but yes it has happened before), try changing video driver to d3d or sdl2 Look for video_driver = “gl”

Change to video_driver = “d3d”

or

video_driver = “sdl2”

In the mean time, it may be useful to paste the contents of your cfg file (D:\HyperSpin\Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg) here (via pastebin). The log cuts off at the crash. I’ve seen this before on my own machine which definitely doesn’t have a bad GPU or driver, but I don’t remember what its cause is, among the several RetroArch crash conditions that exist in Windows. I do know that it’s fixable with the right configuration.

http://pastebin.com/1jySMCjc

This paste only has a small portion of your config file. That leads me to believe your output log was also incomplete. Can you paste the full copies?

no, that’s the config we ship on windows, and it’s crashing for him at that point

http://pastebin.com/pPWZd38H I only 2 cfg files. This is the default one.

Do you have the latest graphics driver for your system installed?