Newbie trying to run psx/segacd roms

Hello everyone. First off, sorry for the newb questions, Ive looked around for a few hours and Im not finding any help, so Im hoping something can be discovered here.

I am running the latest version of RetroArch from the downloads section here, with Windows7/64bit.

My problem is whenever I try running a segaCD rom on pico/plusGX it simply just shuts my Arch down. It also closes my property box before I can read any errors it may be giving me.

Exact same thing happens when I try to run a psx game with mednafen.

Im assuming since that latest download is rather new (2014-01-05) the cores should be up to date.

As far as how I have the rom files set up, the SegaCD roms are in there individual folders with both a .cue and .iso as well as the associated MP3s. The psx roms are in there own folder with both a .bin and .cue.

I have had success running all my neogeo roms and Genesis roms. Im assuming that there is more to it then plug and play with these CD based roms. ANY INFORMATION is appreciated!

thanks for your help. Cheers!

You’ll need the corresponding bios files in your system directory to play PS1 and SegaCD games.

For PS1 you’ll need scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin and scph5502.bin. For SCD you’ll need bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin and bios_CD_U.bin

Also, Genesis Plus GX doesn’t support ISO+MP3 rips, you’ll need a proper BIN/CUE one.

Thanks so much for the response.

I have managed to get the psx bios. Where do I place these? Also, just what is a bios? Perhaps if I understood what this is, it would all make more sense.

thanks again

You put it into the folder called system, it should already be there if you use the MegaPack from the website.

A BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is the startup code of a system and is required for the consoles to work. For a more technical explanation check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Input_Output_System

THANKS!

Didnt work at first, but after changing some file names and case sensitivity it worked fine. Thanks so much. Have not tried the SegaCD yet. I did notice the bios files I have are named completely different than the examples I was shown.

bios_CD_U.bin VS. M2 V2.21.bin This look familiar to anybody?

thanks you greatly

There are multiple revisions of the SCD BIOS based on the region and the model of the console.

It’s up to you to decide which one to use, all of the common ones should work (I’ve heard somewhere Model 1 BIOS files are better, but I’m not sure if there’s any truth to that).

Here’s a documentation list for each one: http://tcrf.net/Sega_CD_BIOS#Regional_Differences

Joining the question, trying to run psx games. CUE files work while CCD file do not.

Am I missing something?

Hi there. I tried the one .ccd file I have and it worked.

Perhaps you are missing a bios file? I have several bios files pertaining to the psx in my systems folder, so IM not sure which one it would be. I grabbed a bundle of 10 or so and threw them all in there.

I don’t think so, since .cue files work, and it should be the same bios.

Im having some similar problems now as well. I have a couple new games that have both .bin and .cue files, however they will not boot up. Perhaps I need more Bios? I dont know how many there are total, but I have several in my systems folder as is.

I’ve created a guide on the Wiki about BIOS files, it should cover pretty much everything you need to know:

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/wiki/ … iguration/