Nightly dont run

hi,

the new nightly crashes in the Load Content (Detect Core) option - even if the path is correct. it only load roms in window mode (window option). the 2xbr filter dont filter the whole screen - only 3/4 of the screen. is it possible to fix this?

The current one works fine here. Did you download cores?

yeah the download is a problem here. the developer design the nightly packets (win x64) to be small but forgot about the necessary files -and i mean not the dlls. ive taken the beta cores and rewrote the stable ones with them and also changed the paths in retroarch. even a fresh nightly with the few new cores stucks in the Load Content (Detect Core) option …

I manage the packages and I didn’t forget anything, you’re just doing it wrong. You need to download Retroarch, and the redist, extract them in the same folder, and download the cores from within retroarch. You don’t even need to download the cores by hand.

I changed the paths but it’s your own fault if you replace your config with my template. The default cfg is expecting cores to be found in a “cores” dir inside the RA dir.

If you want to use your existing config just don’t overwrite the cfg.

Ok, I’ll try to explain it for everyone.

Current nighlies don’t contain cores nor the required DLLs for them to run. Why?

Because the DLLs don’t change often.

New installation:

• Download the package you want, for example this one
  • Grab the redist package.
  • Extract them to a folder
  • Fire RetroArch, go into core manager and download the cores you want.

Upgrade

• Download the package you want, for example this one
  • Grab the redist package.
  • Extract them to a folder
  • Rename retroarch.cfg so you can preserve your old config
  • Copy it over your original files

ive done it exactly like mentioned (New Installation) and it stucks at the menu “Load Content (Detect Core) option”. is there something important to know about the path?

both the core path and the rgui browser directory need to be valid paths, the only reason for it to get stuck is invalid paths. By the way, do you have something under core selection?

nothing helps - its a bug. even the newest latest_RetroArch_full.7z package wont help. the paths are all correct. (Windows 8.1 x64)

Hi Radius, thanks for your information, but I’d like to agree with Silverbreaker on this one. I’ve tried countless attempts to get the nightly to work. I have all the latest cores, I have the latest redist files, I even tried to “latest full” as Silverbreaker mentioned. The Load Content freezes the program every single time, as do several other menu choices.

Another thing that I can’t get working, is I am able to manually select a core, but no matter what I do, if I try to do Load Content, the path is always looking in the wrong place, no matter how many times I tell the content path to be something else. Any ideas?

If I set up a fresh stable release, everything works as expected. Would love to get the nightly running though. Thanks for all your efforts Radius.

In general settings, try to disable “configuration per-core” if that’s ON. Do your paths, configuration again.

If that works, kill the content of the “configs” folder. Then you can activate per-core config again if you want to use that, which can be a little tricky.

Make sure your redist.7z has been unzipped in your main Retroarch folder (dlls along the retroarch.exe). All the cores dll go into a “core” folder correctly identified in the paths config.

Well I think I figured out the freeze/crash…

That default content directory that I can’t seem to switch, is looking for a “content” folder that doesn’t even exist by default, so it crashes. If you manually create the content folder, it at least doesn’t freeze. But I am still not able to tell the content directory to be something else.

The “per core” config was OFF, even my retroarch.cfg contains the correct content directory that I specified, but it refuses to use anything else, other than the “content” folder it’s looking for in the same dir as retroarch.exe

So for Silverbreaker, try creating a “content” folder inside the same folder that retroarch.exe is in, and let me know if that stops your freezing issue.

EDIT:

Looks like line 17 of the retroarch.cfg isn’t behaving properly.

By default it says: rgui_browser_directory = “:\content”

Even though further down is the “content_directory” setting, which has the path I specified, no matter what retroarch always looks for that “content” folder.

If I manually change line 17 to read a direct path to my content, then it works fine.

Yeah, there are two paths you can set in the path options, ‘content’ and ‘browser’. I’m not 100% on the distinction, but I always make both of them the same.

The “game” path is rgui_browser_directory. Yeah it seems I forgot to create the content directory in the nightlies but I always expected people to configure their paths… you don’t even need to touch the config nowadays, just go to settings, path settings and change rgui_browser_directory.

I’ll add that dir as a safety measure now

[QUOTE=Radius;20369]The “game” path is rgui_browser_directory. Yeah it seems I forgot to create the content directory in the nightlies but I always expected people to configure their paths… you don’t even need to touch the config nowadays, just go to settings, path settings and change rgui_browser_directory.

I’ll add that dir as a safety measure now[/QUOTE] Thanks, Radius. :slight_smile: But yah, that’s what I mean, changing the path via the interface doesn’t seem to “stick”, at least it didn’t for me… I had to literally go into the cfg file manually and change that path. Works fine in latest stable though!

it does stick, you just need to exit cleanly

rgui_browser_directory = “:\content” thanks @Jeffls - this helps a lot!

is it possible to change the 2xbr video-filter to full-screen-filtering?

Can you post a screenshot of what’s going on? I’m not having any problems with it here.

If you’re using the opengl driver, you might try switching to d3d9 driver instead to see if that has any effect.

on the lower screen you can see the pixelated area. the filter only filter the upper-half of the screen: http://img4.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/x2br6zbj283rqh.jpg

Weird. Is that another filter/shader you have running with/over it? If so, does it look like that on its own, as well?

yeah it does look like that on its own (last pick). i think it suppose to do this because all the older games had status-bars on the lower screen. like this one: http://img4.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/unbenannt1i1s50rcwgp.jpg

but on the more modern games it looks (down there) like pixelated garbage: http://img4.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/unbenannt2oeavc6sqpl.jpg (you can see it better without the ntsc preset shader)

It’s definitely not intentional. The smoothing is supposed to happen fullscreen.