Nintendo 64 controller mapping

Hey guys,

I’m currently using Project64 as my N64 emulator and would like to switch to Retroarch from the feedback I have received.

I am having issues however trying to map my N64 controller. I have a mayflash USB adapter and have it setup working well (except one small issue but that’s another story) with project64 but for some reason when I try to bind the keys in retroarch it doesn’t recognise the analogue controller at all. I’ve checked windows settings and in teh game adapter settings it does recognise the joystick and I can see the inputs as I move it around so I’m not sure what’s going on.

Anyone able to help please?

You mean when you use to the dpad to navigate to setting > input and then try to map your buttons, everything responds properly except for your analog stick?

Yeah that’s right. I thought there was something wrong with my controller at first but it works well in project64 and in the Windows game controller settings I can see that the signal is working fine.

I’m interested in this as well since I’ll be getting that same adapter to hookup my modified N64 controllers. (I put Gamecube Analogue sticks in them, it’s amazing)

Have you tried setting RetroPad in Input Settings to Retro Pad w/ Analogue? I’m sure you have, I just always like to start with the simplest of theories.

Yeah I have :frowning: Still no luck!

I have a Mayflash adapter as well and it all works great in PJ64. I’d like to move it over to Retroarch (especially with the promising new N64 core), but the controller config has me stumped. Did you ever get it working?

Hey mate,

Unfortunately I didn’t. To be honest I have stopped trying for a while and will probably give it another go in a few weeks.

If Retroarch had a simple visual representation of the various controllers so you could just press a button for the appropriate input and save it as a core-attached config my life would be sooooooo much easier! PJ64 is working fine for me for now at least, but like you every couple/few months I get a masochistic streak and beat my head against it for a while before giving up :stuck_out_tongue:

haha yeah.

On Pj64 I do get one error though. All the buttons work but when the joystick is not exactly on the x or y axis (like if I want to walk diagonally forward for example) my character walks slower, like i’ve only moved the joystick slightly in that direction. Did you get that issue?

Yeah, I did get that initially— a bit of fiddling with the dead zone setting seems to have cleared that up.

1 Like