No Audio after Load State - Mame

I have several arcade games that the state is saved just fine when you exit, but when you go to replay/reload the same game, the audio is missing. (for example: 1941: Counter Attack)

Then I have games that when I reload/replay, they don’t work at all - the video is all messed up and the game isn’t working right (for example: Dig Dug, and other games of the same era and by the same company).

NOTE: Going into the menu and selecting “Undo Load State” has them working again. (But then you have to wait for any game initialization, and the high scores are reset (I think)).

This only happens in certain games.

Happens on Bubble Bobble when using version 0.232. After you load a state the audio dies out but comes up again if a new sound plays (like the hurry up noise).

Happens on the standalone MAME as well.

Edit: Seems to happen with other games that have similar hardware like Rainbow Islands. But other games seem fine.

Savestate support is pretty bad in MAME, a third of the games don’t save states at all, another third saves them with issues.

You should use FBNeo whenever you can if you are looking for proper savestate support.

1 Like

FBNeo works fine but it’s missing the excellent cheat support MAME has.

I guess it’s a good alternative if you have issues with MAME.

I don’t understand what you mean, FBNeo has supported cheats for years.

Kinda off topic but how does that work? Is there any tutorial? I didn’t find anything that works from a fast search.

2 Likes