No Audio At All

Hi, I need help with audio settings. I can’t find any documentation at all. I have RetroArch installed on a small HTPC on WIndows 10 and I have absolutely no audio working from it. I’ve tried playing over USB and stereo mini but nothing seems to work. I’ve gone through the Audio settings but there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of published knowledge out there. Right now my hunch is that since the video is being sent over HDMI the audio is trying to do the same; and I can’t seem to find a way to manually select anything.

RA just goes through your default playback device, AFAIK. There’s no way to manually choose your audio device from within RA.

That’s somewhat reassuring. The next question would be whats wrong with mine then? Is there anywhere for me to check whats going on? The only other thing I’ve noticed is that the “Audio Device” setting setting is totally blank, and when I go to make changes its just a text field for me to enter in a name, but it doesn’t seem to do much.

If you can get a log from the retroarch-debug.exe, it might say something about being unable to initialize audio or something.

Bingo. Under debug I’m getting errors “Failed to init XAudio2. Failed to init audio driver. Will continue without audio. Failed to start audio driver. Will continue without audio.” Is it a bad install of RetroArch or am I missing a file or is this a windows issue?

I guess something’s up with your audio drivers. There are other drivers in RetroArch, you could try dsound or SDL (settings/drivers)

I got it! And I only feel mostly dumb! The PC I installed Retroarch on was a fresh copy of Windows 10. All I needed to do was install DirectX. That had all the XAudio driver packages I needed. now it works like a charm! Thanks for the brainstorming gentlemen.

Sweet. Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for posting your solution :slight_smile: