No longer able to start netplay

Friend and I have been using retroarch to netplay games together for ages now and we’ve been loving it, but today I was no longer able to start netplay. I would be given the error “Movie playback has started. Cannot start netplay.” and then the game would start like normal. I later found out this message is an unhelpful bug, so I tried downloading the latest stable (since I was still on 1.2.2) and got the error “failed to initialize netplay” but the debug window said it failed to load harvest moon.ips, .bps and .ups, none of which we’ve ever had. I also tried downloading the nightly build and it doesn’t work either, but the debug window doesn’t say anything about missing ips/ups/bps files. I’m really confused as to why this is suddenly broken considering I only use retroarch for netplaying and we were playing yesterday just fine. Any suggestions?

edit: after resetting my computer we were able to connect, but it would instantly disconnect when the game launched. after quitting and reloading retroarch it went back to the “Movie playback has started. Cannot start netplay.” error